User Terrain unlocked on Indiegogo

Scandinavian locations would be fun.

Upper Paleolithic

As the ice receded, reindeer grazed on the flat lands of Denmark and southernmost Sweden. This was the land of the Ahrensburg culture, tribes who hunted over vast territories and lived in lavvus on the tundra. There was little forest in this region except for arctic white birch and rowan, but the taiga slowly appeared.

Mesolithic

In the 7th millennium BC, when the reindeer and their hunters had moved for northern Scandinavia, forests had been established in the land. The Maglemosian culture lived in Denmark and southern Sweden. To the north, in Norway and most of southern Sweden, lived the Fosna-Hensbacka culture, who lived mostly along the edge of the forest. The northern hunter/gatherers followed the herds and the salmon runs, moving south during the winters, moving north again during the summers. These early peoples followed cultural traditions similar to those practised throughout other regions in the far north — areas including modern Finland, Russia, and across the Bering Strait into the northernmost strip of North America.
During the 6th millennium BC, southern Scandinavia was covered in temperate broadleaf and mixed forests. Fauna included aurochs, wisent, moose and red deer. The Kongemose culture was dominant in this time period. They hunted seals and fished in the rich waters. North of the Kongemose people lived other hunter-gatherers in most of southern Norway and Sweden called the Nøstvet and Lihult cultures, descendants of the Fosna and Hensbacka cultures. Near the end of the 6th millennium BC, the Kongemose culture was replaced by the Ertebølle culture in the south.

Neolithic

During the 5th millennium BC, the Ertebølle people learned pottery from neighbouring tribes in the south, who had begun to cultivate the land and keep animals. They too started to cultivate the land, and by 3000 BC they became part of the megalithic Funnelbeaker culture. During the 4th millennium BC, these Funnelbeaker tribes expanded into Sweden up to Uppland. The Nøstvet and Lihult tribes learnt new technology from the advancing farmers (but not agriculture) and became the Pitted Ware cultures towards the end of the 4th millennium BC. These Pitted Ware tribes halted the advance of the farmers and pushed them south into southwestern Sweden, but some say that the farmers were not killed or chased away, but that they voluntarily joined the Pitted Ware culture and became part of them. At least one settlement appears to be mixed, the Alvastra pile-dwelling.
It is not known what language these early Scandinavians spoke, but towards the end of the 3rd millennium BC, they were overrun by new tribes who many scholars think spoke Proto-Indo-European, the Battle-Axe culture. This new people advanced up to Uppland and the Oslofjord, and they probably provided the language that was the ancestor of the modern Scandinavian languages. They were cattle herders, and with them most of southern Scandinavia entered the Neolithic.

1 Like

Drombeg stone circle - Wikipedia Would love too see this in game , it’s a fantastic place very near too where I live

1 Like

If the game works well at some point after release we will provide tools to develop custom maps.

3 Likes

Really looking forward too playing this game , it’s looking amazing and with these mechanics it will give longevity to the game , I love history and there’s vast amount megalithic forts stone circles standing stones burial mounds or kurgans , and vast amounts of things. Being able too make are own maps would be a fantastic feature too game

Brittany; FR
France
Scandinavia
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is a great point. It would be awesome to see moorland (Northumberland/Dartmoor), and fells (Wales/Scotland) implemented as an alternative bio domes. this could make a more challenging map, as resources such as wood and natural shelter would be very limited. Additionally, maybe swamp land could be included? Such as the East Anglian Fens, before they where drained.

Neolithic/bronze age civilisations has been well established in all the areas noted above.

2 Likes

Some ideas about Neolithic sites in Germany/Switzerland:

• Lake of Constance (“Bodensee”) where people have been settling in towns close to the lake in houses raised on poles. It’s a big lake with an interesting landscape for the game play.
  • The Externsteine (Extern stones) in the Teuteburger Forest
    See on Google Maps
    Terrain is hills, smaller lakes, forest.
  • Island of Ruegen (North Germany) where the Lancken-Granitz dolmens (tombs) have been found. It would be close to the ocean.
1 Like

must be GĂśbekli Tepe and mesopotamian region in general!
maybe including Varna or the black sea, when it was still a lake.

My 3 geographical prefered sugguestions are:

1. Hallstatt, Austria
  2. Gibraltar
  3. Naples/Vesuvius area, Italy

Or better yet, have a terraform option where you can load maps downloaded from google earth, like you can in cities skylines.

1 Like

you got it wrong - you need to create it in game :slight_smile:

Yes I am well aware that I’d have too create it in game , I posted it some time back in relation too something the devs posted about adding the capability for the players the to create the own historical accrete settlement , from what I remember , what I posted was a reply to a reply by the devs lol :joy::smiley: hope your looking forward the game like I am

If you look my friend you will see my first comment :smiley::smiley:lol

GAVRINIS (Morbihan - FRANCE, Britany) : cairn and dolmen on an island from the neolithic. Looks like a little archipel. Should by some kinda hard map needing effecient placed bridges etc.

@AC : What are you thinking about a “random map generator” ? Certainly not urgent, but would be a good tool to keep players on for a while.

That’s the very basis of the game. Player-made maps will only be inserted after random maps.

So I’m very happy with this very basic ^^

Default mode is random.

3 Likes

any thought to be like our real world - we start in africa ? or at least have that option

It should be nice a very nice concept ! But for an other video game project :stuck_out_tongue: It should demand a complet revision of the gameplay to be complet and not empty and repetitive along time. But I still think that a survival/management video game of the evolution of our specie could be very nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

The highlands of Scotland :grin: