Alpha / Beta / Release dates?

True. Alpha was never considered something which left the testers/dev’s.
It’s become a fad to release them these days, but I think it does MUCH to harm the gaming industry and I hope they stop doing it.

Development - Developers
Alpha - Developers/Testers/QA
Closed beta - Select/Restricted Public / Developers/Testers/QA
Open Beta - Semi-Public
Release - Public

=/

1 Like

I agree. I see very few Alpha projects actually go much beyond the ‘Alpha’. Usually, its alpha, has issues. Game gets bad rep and that is the end of it.

1 Like

Alpha is not even supposed to be released. The code should be not really finished with potentially entire sections undone. The idea of releasing Alpha code would be like releasing the hull of a ship with none of the stuff on top yet.

Companies do it because it’s cheaper than finishing their project, and people are so obsessed with Early Access that they’ll accept garbage code. Basically, companies have figured out a way to sell garbage because of people’s obsession to be first and special.

Chalk it up to The Human Condition, I suppose LOL

2 Likes

Think it is up to the creativity. A good game needs a concept, in this phase visionaries are in demand. At this point, most projects fail, there are concepts that are based on previous games, better mod’s. To get funding for that is almost hopeless. The expectations of the players of the original game can not be fulfilled. The last attempt is then to make a few dollars with the Alpha and to attract attention.
Conception of the new is not the strength of our time …

1 Like

I don’t think an Alpha release is needed. But what would be awesome is a (monthly? weekly? bi-monthly?) video which shows off the progress of the game. It keeps the game on the radar, might generate more interest in the game and you might get some feedback from your backers along the way.

1 Like

Which month will the beta version come out?

We still don’t have a date.
It will happen as soon as we consider the game ready for that.
Of course we will announce it in a way that you will not miss it.

1 Like

After some evaluation for the bug report system we have finally decided to implement it withing the game.
When a crash is detected it will be triggered automatically, but it also can be requested by the player to report non crashing bugs. It will be a button in the UI, visible in beta versions and hidden in release versions.
The system will automatically include a game screenshot and the game/system log. The user will be able to add a description too and It will always ask you for permission to send us that data. Note this system should be used for bugs only. Game play suggestions or considerations should be discussed here in the forums because we are interested in what others think about those suggestions.

We think this is the easiest way for you to report on the fly and a way for us to get the most complete information necessary to solve any bug.

9 Likes

I love this way to proceed. One note though, as a beta, as a translator and as receiving a number of feedbacks from French-speaking players regarding my translations:

I often find myself having to send bug reports “on the fly” as you tell, but showing some peculiar tooltip to exemplify the case (e.g. : my army is stuck there while the tooltip shows it should not be stuck ; or relations between me and the I.A. that should not prevent taking such action, etc.).

However, having the button in the UI would prevent showing the necessary tooltip for such cases, and you risk being flooded with screnshots for non-major bugs and without explanation on the causes of the bugs.

So will there be any way (even if less automated) to post bug-reports without using the button, like a thread here to post such reports?
This would allow e.g. to use paint to draw arrows on the screenshot, showing two contradictory informations, etc.

The trouble with that way though is you’ll have less formalized reports, but if they’re more efficient I think this should be studied. And this would prevent also having multiple options that could take time to code (like an option to take a delayed screenshot, or to export the screenshot in MS Paint, etc.)

The easy way to solve that is to assign also a hotkey to capture the screenshot and open the report interface.
In any case a forum section for reports will exist too.

2 Likes

Yup, if that’s feasible to have this hotkey and if it doesn’t take too much of your time to implement this would be really convenient :slightly_smiling_face:

Once we have the button and UI working, the hotkey is free.

3 Likes

Is closed Beta still on track for September? After that, how long will it take to reach me? (I’m just a lord so presumably one of the last to get it).

1 Like

We are behind schedule currently with no date yet for the beta start. We will keep you informed when we have dates.
Once the beta starts it will be provided in batches in backer level and back time order. How fast new batches are incorporated will depend on bugs and reception. So it is expected to be slow at first and become faster each batch.

6 Likes

I have question, when will the beta testing start Guys?

Hi, we still don’t have a date for that.
But when the time comes it will not pass unnoticed!

4 Likes

Feel free to add me to your list if you wish. I professionally beta (QA, regression, UAT) test as well as software develop, so I’m familiar with how to do it lol

I also have twin matching gaming systems allowing me to isolate problems that are the result of individual machine configuration versus Hardware configuration.

1 Like

twich the aplha ?

for those not invited can be teased relentlessly… lol

I would like to know when did you plan to insert your game in steam library ?
This would help you to get more “aficionados” and also probably few more bakers to get some more money for the last couple of months for development.
Also being on steam now will erase the concurrence :wink:

2 Likes

Hi there,

As now in September 2018, is there an update as to when BETA will be out? I have just backed this game as a “Lord” to play my part in helping with issues during BETA. Previous news I can see on the forums seems alittle outdated.

Thanks!

7 Likes