No Kickstarter update since July 15th 2017 - not acceptable

While there is no advantage in having devs post constant weekly feedback, it is often a distraction from other roles, it is not on that Kickstarter backers have not had ANY updates for nine months.
The fact we have a forum here and Indiegogo etc is not really an excuse, a number of backers only use Kickstarter to keep up with what they have invested in.

I think it is high time an update was given, even if only to prove that backers have not been forgotten. After all, we are paying for this, it is wrong to ignore your backers for too long. I think the devs should post an update quarterly at most, it wont divert a lot of development time to update on that level of frequency.

Thank you for listening,

7 Likes

I think the devs had in mind that all the time they spend updating all their social medias is taken away from the project, that’s why they use mainly Twitter, for short and spontaneous Developer’s Diaries (which are sometimes copied on their facebook). Both these options offer them much more publicity than Kickstarter obviously, to get more backers and more visibility.
I think the devs do not see Kickstarter the same way as you do. For you it is a social platform, to finance projects but also to communicate about them, but maybe for the devs it was only a mean to reach out to us, get funded and start working seriously.
If you want news, they’re highly accessible on their Twitter, even if you don’t have an account. So it should be as bothersome as checking a Kickstarter page, if you are excited by the project.
The backers haven’t been forgotten nor ignored, they are celebrated in the forum, on their website…
I think the main problem is you don’t see Kickstarter they way the devs do. I personnaly like it more here, more cozy, nearer to the devs and the community, but, hey, that’s another matter :blush:
If you want to be notified, I’m sure you can sign up to some recap e-mail of the important stuff on the forum, the dev’s announcements, etc. The Discord group has a bot that notifies the members when there’s important news…
I hope I satisfied your thirst of info :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have seen this argument before where developers from crowdfund projects prefer to use other media.
However…

1. We paid money to back, its not a public curiosity or prelaunch hype marketing issue. Backers want to know about their investment.

2. We backed through Kickstarter and Indiegogo not Twitter.

3. Not everyone has or wants a Twitter account or has joined this forum. Every backer has either a Kickstarter or Indiegogo account though.

4. If the devs can tweet they can copy-paste. If they can copy-paste they can update. Put this here in case you want to continue with the argument that keeping backers informed this takes up too much developer time.

4 Likes

While is true that a frew posts in Ks would not be very time consuming doing that will creare other movement like people comenting, suggesting or debatting, splitting the community and taking us more time than the post itself.
We have not a dedicated PR so all social management is taken from our own time.

Please keep in mind that Twitter is not really about news for backers as the forum is, but to bring new people in. Also a twitter account is not needed to read our posts there.

But you are right anyway about what you say about our compromise with KS people, so we will prepare an update and keep KS in touch with sparse but regular updates at least each quarter as you suggest.

13 Likes

i never really understood forums and mostly got lost in them. i rather have update every so often to know whats happening. i have not signed in here since we were asked to join in the forum. im on fb on daily basis (u can post simultaneously on twitter i think from there and on fb stop anyone from answering). im glad there are things happening but i dont do twitter well and have a lot to follow but i do my notifications on fb everyday. i try to catch up on instagram but thats tiring. cant wait to actually be able to play this game but im not a daily participant…sorry not gonna start again trying to navigate the forum. as long as u send a message every so often that is understood, id be happy. i read the thread on the emails i get but ill wait till i can play the game. thats just my opinion, thank you Orlanth for raising this.

The forms have been more of a place for folks to get together and help ensure AC is the right blend of fun and prehistoric accuracy. We have gamers, archaeologists, enthusiasts all discussing countless topics and helping the devs come up with answers to a few of their questions.

That being said, I don’t think the forms are really a place that everyone would want to be. I do follow their updates on Twitter from now and then, though I never use Facebook.

My life is too filled, no more space for Facebook. :wink:
Every now and then an update to KS can not hurt, right.
If you really want to know something, get here in the forum a lot of info’s.
Can not hurt to get more familiar with the theme of the game. But, everyone has to decide for themselves.

1 Like

It has been nearly a month and a half since the thread opened and still no comments from the devs on Kickstarter.

1 Like

As you are already on the forum, you can always check all the updates while you are here, can’t you?

1 Like

We know it.
It is on our to do list but we are just extremely busy these days.
But we will do it as soon as we have some time to do a properly cumulative update.

1 Like

“As you are already on the forum, you can always check all the updates while you are here, can’t you?”

Sorry but your comment condemns yourself. I am asking for benefit of the wider community and because the devs have a moral obligation not to be seen to ignore their investors.

It is sad that you do not see this. Not having a go here, actually saying this to help you. Try not to think about concerns in terms of personal application alone it displays an attitude of thinking that if it doesn’t effect you it isn’t important. Otherwise known as an i’m alright jack attitude.

Yes I can keep up to date here, and do so from time to time, but that is only part of the issue and I am thinking not only of myself. I gently suggest you focus yourself more broadly.

1 Like

You really are taking a rather ego-centric view…I take your point about Kickstarter backers being informed, but those who are backers could and probably should be here, to get the best, quickest and most up to date information available. I echo an earlier response that Kickstarter is a platform to elicit interest and suppost and it is NOT a social media platform or a open source for updates that relate to completed campaigns. With a small team of 3 (or is it 4?) devs working on this, frankly any effort they spend not on the game is to everyone’s detriment. So please stop being a “Me, me, me” diva and let the devs get on with what the do best … develop. Or alternatively seeing as you are here, you could “copy-paste” from the information on here onto Kickstarter for the benefit of those too disinterested in a game they have backed to bother to use the forums. Have a nice day :slight_smile:

Oh and focus more broadly is a total contradiction in terms…

7 Likes

Is that addessed to me? If so you need to read more carefully. I am the direct opposite of a me, me, me diva, ths should be blindingly obvious actually.

Also my point is that the Kickstarter backers are NOT informed because they haven’t been informed since July 15th.

Also we cannot do the updates on the devs behalf. We don’t have control over the inputting on the KS website, only those who operate the backing campaign can do this. The best we can do is to post a fan update on the singe uneditable scrolling thread available to backers, and thus totally inadequate for the tasks.

Yes the job is small, but all they need to do is copy past their own development literature. Doing right by backers might taken ten or fifteen minutes tops, and that includes the proof read. there is no excuse not to, I reiterate, KSproduction feedback is not only tidbits and hype to gaming fans, it is information on an investment to backers who paid money to back. Big difference.

Please, don’t let this issue scale.

The forum is the place to get access to the best and more complete updates, but it is true that Kickstarter/Indiegogo also need at least updates to let people that is not here to know that we are working and progressing.

2 Likes

There is a moment you can’t do anything for people too lazy to click the Twitter icon. Just send a mail officially stating the official places where they may find more information on the development process (here and Twitter), and basta.

That, or instead of another developer you’ll be condemned to hire a PR guy posting everyday on Reddit, Discord, the forum, Twitter, KS and Indiegogo aside of sending personal mails and dedicated cerveza bottles & doing exactly what you told you’d not do:

All of this for a vocal minority, that clearly would be a shame.

Exactly :+1:

4 Likes

“Please, don’t let this issue scale.”

Sorry but you have a direct responsibility to your backers. It is nearly ten months with no update. That is not acceptable.

IT WILL NOT TAKE LONG FOR YOU TO INDICATE YOUR BACKERS HAVE NOT BEEN TAKEN FORGRANTED.

Probably not much longer than it has taken to reply here.

If nothing else you could just explain what you wrote here. That you would rather focus on development than keep updates, but that backers have not been forgotten and the game is continuing to be made.

1 Like

In my hometown Frankfurt there is a saying: “The affected dog barks” … :wink:
All our “investment” is no bigger than the sum for any other game. There we have during the development a) no information and b) no possibility to co-design the content. So, where is the problem? What the developers show us looks good, questions are answered quickly, what else? Stay fair and be useful, we are not only investors but first and foremost supporters.

3 Likes

Come on. Think!!
In case you havent realised yet. We backed on Kickstarter, or Indiegogo, not Twitter.
Every backer will have a KS or Indiegogo account, not every backer will have an account here or on Twitter. Putting messages on Twitter alone is pointless, it doesn’t reach paid backers, and you have character limits. If the devs can tweet they can update.

So the devs ignore Kickstarter backers, but somehow that is my fault. Get a grip.
Have you bothered to check the message stream on Kickstarter. The message stream that only PAID BACKERS can access. In other words people who have paid for this project and morally ought to be kept informed of what is being done with their monies.

Here are some of the most recent comments:

“Is the game dead ?”

“I really don’t know. No informations/updates! Scam?”

“It’s really bad. We supported him/them and now we earn absolute no informations about the development. I think I will never back products of them again.”

“No time for us, no updates and no comments. I only hope we will get our game.”

"I was afraid of something like this… Luckily I only sunk 25 euros into this project.
@creator - the least you could do is create a 5-10 line script/bot that cross posts updates from your forum into this Kickstarter project. Takes max an hour to write and test.
Is that really too much to ask?"

None of the above quotes were comments by me.

We have backers who paid their money for this game who are genuinely worried that the devs have cut and run. It does happen with crowdfund projects every now and then. I myself have lost money on only one project, but it is a real worry for many.

This is not the time for your myopic and selfish attitudes. Just because you can read Twitter and because you have forum membership here and are content doesn’t mean every person who has paid money for the game knows what you know. The backers are asking for an update, and if you want to whine and say that ts a ‘vocal minority’ then you are being utterly self centred and unreasonable.
And stop blaming me for this problem.

In my hometown Frankfurt there is a saying: “The affected dog barks” … :wink:

I am no dog. I am speaking out for those who have been taken forgranted of and are concerned that they have lost thieir money to abandonware. Show some respect.

What the developers show us looks good, questions are answered quickly, what else? Stay fair and be useful, we are not only investors but first and foremost supporters.

No they haven’t said the blindest thing. What part of no update since July 15th 2017 don’t you understand.

Just for the sake of correctness, those are the people you cite: 3 of them in 4 messages.

Katz

1. Is the game dead ?

Mr. Mo

1. “I really don’t know. No informations/updates! Scam?”
  2. “It’s really bad. We supported him/them and now we earn absolute no informations about the development. I think I will never back products of them again. No time for us, no updates and no comments. I only hope we will get our game.”

Martijn

1. I was afraid of something like this… Luckily I only sunk 25 euros into this project. @creator - the least you could do is create a 5-10 line script/bot that cross posts updates from your forum into this Kickstarter project. Takes max an hour to write and test. Is that really too much to ask?"

I confirm this is a vocal minority.

Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uncasualgames/ancient-cities/comments

Just to be clear: I don’t have any opinion about the whole topic.
Just, seeing you playing the social warrior and pretending to fight against some evil developers in the name of a few people seemingly having the misfortune to don’t be able to click on a Twitter icon is just ridiculous. Once again.

EDIT: I just re-read the last message I received from Indiegogo. It was clearly stated that everybody would have his/her forum invitation for more information, and how to proceed if this was not the case.

If that’s not been done for KS, it should be, I totally agree.

If that’s been done, I really don’t see one lone reason why the devs should be condemned to post for the remnant of their life on their former KS campaign page while they offered a more convenient way to communicate with them. Period.

2 Likes