How to do mods?

I think I may eventually like to make some mods, but I don’t know anything about how it’s done (my only experience of modding was with Sims3, ages ago). Is there a book or tutorial that would help me understand? I can make models with Blender, but I don’t really know how normal maps etc work.

5 Likes

In this mod section we will include tutorials on how to create mods. The basic concept is that you can add your mod in Document/Uncasual Games/Ancient/Mod/YourMod. Once you activate this “mod” in the mod menu option in-game, every folder/file you put here will override the same folder/file in Steam\SteamApps\common\Ancient Cities\Ancient\Data\Ancient. There are also folders were you can add subfolders that will be loaded as new entities of the same type. Example : Ancient/Entity/Local/Building for adding new buildings.

11 Likes

Thank you.

Putting this here as a few questions.

I’m looking in SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ancient Cities\Ancient\Data\Ancient\Mod along with users\user\documents\Uncasual Games\Ancient Cities\User for the mod files but can’t locate any. I have downloaded a couple of the test Steam mods but theres no folders in either of these locations for this.

Second question, looking at a lot of the game files a lot seem to relate to Visual effects and almost Javascript language in terms of how the game looks rather than a DB of what something does in terms of figures. Where can I find things like resource stats or spawn rates, or villager behaviour?

1 Like

Steam mods are downloaded in steam directories. Every entity configuration, model, animation, texture,… is in the base game directories and can be modded.

2 Likes

with what aplication should i open the mod files if i want to look at it?

notepad++ for the text files

2 Likes

K thanks

1 Like

The Ancient Cities Mods downloaded from the Workshop are in this directory :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\667610

1 Like