About release delay

Ailantd

Your decision to do your own engine is logical, made with wisdom, supported by all your true backers!!

Please don’t waver in your resolve or dedication on the choice because of this or any other negative outlooks you will succeed and you don’t need to prove or justify why the teem made the choices as in the end those choices are what makes AC and a development teem that believes in there project is unstoppable.

PS You forgot 1 major point in a team of 100 people on a software project 4-5 do 90% of the work 50% of there time programing and 50% of there time spent in meetings defending there choices against 45 people and the other 50 people just collecting paychecks.

6 Likes

That’s the point, I see that too. If it were different, we could play Age of Empire or Grand age rome and be content. But we are not. It has to be better and it just does not work with an average engine.

4 Likes

And others are some how lesser backers? What I pose is critical thought not in the sense that it is negative but to see what is the continuing thought process. I ask for critical thought from my engineering teams and I’m forever curious for the thought process of others.

I agree, deadlines have a strong tendency to be pushed back because reality intervenes with optimism. Deadlines are a tool create a point to ask question around what should continue and perhaps what shouldn’t. The team controls it’s own scope to an extent of what it’s going to ship and when. Deadlines, or milestones if you will, are useful for understanding progress or making sure you understand where you aren’t making progress and can adapt: How long should we expect each of these to take and why are we off on our estimates?

That brings me back to my closing question:

2 Likes

@pasamio If there were a “dislike” button, I’d gratefully click it under your posts. Probably that’s best there’s not, as this oblige me to explain why I can’t give you any credit.

1) Deadlines are a tool, not an aim by themselves

Like every tool, they have to be used with care, knowing what they are done for, and how they work.
We all know videogame companies that use deadlines. Just, you know instantly whenever a company relies essentially on deadlines instead of priorities such as “working features” for instance. You’ve got a good exemple of respected deadlines over respected priorities with Dawn of Man, just look at the comments here. Dawn of Man doesn’t seem to be a “bad” game. Just, that’s “a” game. Then they’ll make another one, period.

As for me, I’m grateful the guys at Uncasual Games decided to follow the HBO path with GoT season 8, when they decided they preferred to delay the release instead of making anything that could look like a Red Sonja. This doesn’t mean I’m not impatient playing the game or watching the new season. Just, I don’t wanna be disappointed, sad and angry when at last I may taste it (intended spelling here).

2) What lessons do you think you may give anyone?

Reading your posts (that’s done very fast for sure), I understand:

• you throw money at a number of game teams;
  • you wait and see if they fail or not, and don’t care if they do it or not;
  • you spend one hour of your time reading months of discussions and messages;
  • whenever you feel this is a fail, you post despising lessons about management.

Fine. Just, did you read the presentation of the game, when you backed it? A new engine, fidelity to history, a defined vision, quality over quantity, no extra bonus that would need time needed for a long development phase, one platform for a number of DLCs if working well.

In one word: you’ve never been told you could expect A.C. to be a basic, usual, flavorless videogame. Anyone having the very basics on videogame industry–even as a casual customer–perfectly knows that can’t be easy to make, and delays are to be expected. That was clear from the very beginning.

The point is you blatantly missed your target when backing this game. No need to give anyone management lessons. The simple fact is: you failed, you missed your aim, because you have been lazy when not reading the explanations given by the team.

Now, why would you want anyone to consider your views with any seriousness?

11 Likes

We have never lack the confidence. As stated before we track how much time cost every feature we add, that’s how we measure.
We have built an engine that works, but as with every engine it needs continuos love.
We have learned a lot about AI which was our weakest point when we started, but now we are building a system capable of managing massive numbers of fairly complex AI.
So here is the wisdom: Never had a feature we didn’t know how to add or that we couldn’t learn how to add, only features costing more than expected for whatever reason.
We know how to do the job, but we realized that we need more time to do it.

18 Likes

I liked this one question by @pasamio, so I was interested to see your answer. Kudos! As always, buena suerte :slight_smile:

Each one has its own feelings and opinions and that’s right.
So, please, let’s avoid personal adjectives and keep this polite :wink:

No just different

1 Like

I backed the game years ago now because I saw promise in what it could be. I accept that it could be a project that doesn’t succeed and I’m happy to give someone the chance to bring into being a new creation. I back hoping every project will succeed but knowing failure is still a reality. Maybe that doesn’t make me a true believer though it doesn’t mean I’m not interested in understanding how it grows from where it is today.

I feel the game is at an interesting inflection point and I have curiousity about the thoughts and I posed a question and some basis of my own ideas. You’re free to disagree and dislike, I’m still going to be curious. If you don’t want to take me seriously and think me the fool then this is fine as well. I have my opinions and they may be wrong but if I don’t ask the question, how else will I learn?

Clearly I’ve offended you and I apologise as that wasn’t my intent. I’ll refrain from posting any more to prevent further offence.

5 Likes

I quote the end first, as that’s the easiest to answer and probably the most waited in this very case: I may have overreacted if your previous posts were really driven by curiosity, and I apologise like you do if I understood you wrongly.

As a complement: that’s really not my role to ban anyone from the forum, decide who should back or not, decide who should post about what, etc. About that, please don’t refrain because of me. We’re two backers, nothing more. And we may have different expectations (why not?), but we’re still two backers and at perfect equality.

Now, to go back more precisely to the points you raised into your posts: the topic, as said by @Marko above, is not uninteresting or without validity. Just, if you read your posts in the context of the thread (and that’s still more clear when you read what’s been written earlier on the forum), you may agree their tone is probably not as neutral as you may have intended to write them, and don’t leave the impression they’re a question.
That is the thing I was criticizing, not your interest or any legitimate question you may ask.

Now, I hope I’m not responsible for you leaving the forum. We’re not kids, we may agree on some topics and disagree on others, but please remember I don’t have any “grudge” against you and I won’t track every one of your posts just because I have some spare time. Feel free to post where and whenever you want, as that’s your obvious right and I really can’t find any reason why I would even try to deny it to you.

3 Likes

Hey, of course you will stay in the forum and ask your questions! :wink: Misunderstandings occur and we are all here for the same motivation. (And the nerves are bare with impatience :grinning: )
After all, we have learned through this little excursion that it is about AI complexity. A central problem of most construction and strategy games. If big developers struggle with that, how much more uneven then a small studio. (My guess goes into something like a mix of features from (nice) Minecraft and Stardew Valley …?)
I’m even more curious to see what the game will be like.

2 Likes

I’m happy to hear a more detailed update regarding the delays. I was getting rather worried last year around September, but that was mostly diminished after visiting the Twitter page. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

At the end of the day, it will be ready when it’s ready and we will all be the better for it.
It took over 11 years for Vanguard: Normandy 1944 (which I also backed on Kickstarter) to be released on Steam early access and although it still isn’t 100%, It’s very playable (from what I have read as I haven’t played it myself yet). Remember the tale of the Tortoise and the Hare, I reckon it is really going to be worth waiting for.
Patience is a virtue that we should all try and have.

and what happend to normady its tottaly outdated and noone plays it, that happens if you take too much time better games get released "Day of Infamy kicked normadys ass " even it got released alot earlyer, and dawn of man is getting better and better, oh and yah not to forgett what happend / happening to star citizen its dying becouse they were adding features over features and the money is running out / missmanagement

1 Like

Day of Infamy and Vanguard are like chalk and cheese, you just can’t compare them, but then again it’s horse’s for course’s. The clans that I play with would never entertain something like Day of Infamy as it is more like COD and such like. At the end of the day it’s each to there own, some will love a particular game and others will hate it.
You really can’t compare games as they all have their own thing that some love and others hate…

1 Like

Well done guys! Take all the time you need I say!

1 Like

I would rather you guys delay the game 12 times until the year 2030 and have it come out really well then rush it out and it be terrible. Keep up the good work guys we have faith.

1 Like

I can fully understand this step and I look forward to it when you publish it. :smile:
And please do not forget to revise the question about the release date in the FAQ so that there are no misunderstandings. :wink:

1 Like

Star Citizen : Ancient Cities?!

2 Likes

Devs have said that they plan to release the game on 2019. From my point of view, bearing in mind that beta will be provided in first place, this deadline would not be accomplished. I don’t think that the game could be released on 2019. Hopefully in 2020.
So, maybe it is time for a new update. At least just to know where devs are at the moment.

1 Like