Population Growth? Slavery/Assimilation/Children

We though about this, but we conclude that names as “Jhon Doe” in Neolithic times would not be very immersive :wink:
Of course we don’t know what names they used, but we will try at least to use as ancient names as we can mixed with some of imagination.

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Citizen names and linguistics

Hope I’m in the right tread …
How can we imagine the identification of individual NPC’s in the game? And will there be constantly visible features about the “operating condition”? :blush:
(Sorry, stupidly expressed) but it just applies.
Think about games like Cultures, Stronghold, Tropico or SuddenStrike

1 Like

@oisin2000 I was thinking about what you said earlier (not about the name since it concerns another thread now) but I want to come back to your initial idea of assimilation. What do you have in mind exactly ?

@Artybloc well it was in reference to if we can attack another tribes kill there warriors/hunters what happens to the women children/old of that tribe . do they just disappear or can they be added to are own tribes numbers. i dont imagine they wouldn’t be happy but still. i dont pretend to know how it was in real life but i imagine something off this caliber happened. it would add more to game in you can take the benefit of more people/workers but also the risk of revolt years on from pissed off son. i dont know what do you think??

@oisin2000 ok I understand that. With assimilation it could also be more “peacefully”.
I see some solution or event that can happened depending on what a tribe can endure because of attack or nature events (I’m not an expert in history so maybe some points are not in phase with what happened at that time):

• Because a natural event happened in some corner of the map (or because another tribe has been attacked and some element reached to escaped), you see people coming near your village and they ask help. You accept their demand and they join your tribe (Banished has this kind of system). First, they are not totaly assimilated and they will form small groups even if some element will be accept because they have the same temperament than some of your people. WIth time they will assimilate peacefully or some element will try to impose them self in the group and that could create conflict between rebels and your tribes.

• A family is migrating from north to south (as migrant) and you ask them if they want to join you. If you have more technology than them, they are curious to see how does your tools works (etc) and they will ask to join you.

• An isolated person (maybe a prisoner who escaped or a person who left his tribe because no one love him) ask you to join you because he has nothing to loose and he is desperatly alone in this dangerous world.

I have other ideas but I don’t know if slavery was actually a solution at that time to deal with prisoner or if the game aim to handle slaves as it could hurt people or because of the “unique thought” that slavery is a bad thing for humanity and shame on you if you code it or speak of it in the game (Fuck the society !).

2 Likes

Very good thoughts!

Is always a question of titling …
Let’s not call it “slave” but “unfree”, sounds much nicer. Or think of the Kasten-System in India. Hardly anyone is questioning this publicly.
Until our days this works excellently. An “illegal immigrant” has no claim to help. If he is called “refugee”, he is given a completely different legal status. Already from a humanitarian point of view …
The summit of the distortion of the meaning of the word is “economic refugee” :slight_smile: Interesting in this context is the question, as to who holds the interpretation highness. And how did he - or this class - get to it?
At any time, “rule” must have begun. As?

I like your style man ! “unfree”, I going to use this words now. I don’t think at this time if there was a Kasten-System. I think it’s more like the basics animal tribes where there is one dominant male (or a alpha couple as wolf), common people and minions who are always weak and blame for everything.

Think also that it was so. Certainly there have always been more dominant people (today we call them “alpha-animals”) and those, who simply wanted to live and in turn voluntarily subordinated themselves for a certain security.

So question for you ladies/gentleman, I know society believes slavery in a game is frowned upon. I’m curious of the idea of class system in terms of the development of a city, like slums in a way. If you could visually see the different god(s) that are worshipped by the style in which the people build their houses or community within your city? Would that be a difficult thing to do?

I don’t know about social stratification in the Neolithic era, but there were certainly bigger houses and smaller houses in neolithic settlements… To be perfectly honest, I think the game kind of needs a level of social hierarchy in order to be interesting in my opinion, but historical accuracy probably says that there was none until the copper age.

I do believe it is possible that Neolithic society had some hierarchy. We see this in nearly all I the cultures, including existing Amazon tribes.

2 Likes

true, true. but without material evidence, we can only assume so much.

Technically, the null hypothesis would be where we are forced to sit at present. Making the Assumption either way would be a hypothesis at best. That’s one of the problems with prehistory, unless you indulge in prehistoric fiction, in which case that’s one of the strengths LOL

well, we can say the evidence of human sociology would point towards particular strong-men/women leading or directing others. This tends to happen as children naturally follow their parents. Authority seems to be built into our social-code… but, you’re right, we can’t make any definitive statements either way…

If the fact is that our primordial ancestors were primates, we should also consider a ranking as natural. Almost all land animals hunting in groups have a lead animal. Something like this.
Evidence of this is probably never found. To this end, thoughts must be excavated …:wink: