Password requirements

I really despise the fact that all the indiegogo games I back seem to use this same forum software and it requires some ungodly long password to register. I should not have to use a password that is 10-12+ characters. An 8 character password is just fine. For anything except crappy sites using this forum code. I almost wish I hadn’t backed this…

just take ur 8 character pw and repeat it again? problem solved and ur twice as secure if not more

1 Like

Love the idea! Although I actually use different passwords for everything, I have a pretty hard limit of remembering 8 characters. If I ever have to change passwords on here, I will just do an 8 character password and repeat it :wink:

alternatively pw apps is way to go, i like to use roboform but i hear lastpass got simular and in some areas better features so might be worth to test that out, lots others out there aswell if u want diffrent options

1 Like

Yep thought the same thing but then;

what is the worstcase szenario that could happen when we forgett the forced 10/12+ PW? Well we push the PW reset button :wink: Worst case if someone guess the 8 Char PW is a compromised account… So I go with it :ice_cream:

Or use a password manage to generate one for you that’s always secure and remembers it for you as well, so you only really need to remember one single password for all the websites you visit?

But when this ONE password is compromised all your other passwords will too, ever thought about this posibility :slight_smile: @WickedMouse

I prefer not to have a third-party app know all my passwords, that is why I memorize them all. I currently keep about 20-22 passwords in my head.

1 Like

That’s what 2-step verification is for. And if you want to be safe, you change that “master password” every now and then as well.

@Pan_1972 nope, the ONE pw is the masterpw you need for the software which SHOULDNT be used anywhere else and it should be long, i tihnk mine is over 30 characters n digits and what have u long
if they break the pw for this site for example thats all theyll get access to, since every pw for every page will be unique

@Grymmwulf lastpass got some insane trust noone security options for thouse that trusts noone but still dont wanna be botherd with making up a pw for every site and remembering in their head, and the worst thing u can do is write it down somewhere, even if its physical or txt file for example.
as for ur comment about the length require, 8 is borderline unsafe in this day n age, check out GRC's | Password Haystacks: How Well Hidden is Your Needle?   too see how much difficult it is if u just make the pw 10 or 12 character/digits

I use two passwords that are 9-characters (They make more sense as 9 than 8, so easier to remember), and it would take a very long time to crack them according to that link posted.

Time Required to Exhaustively Search this Password’s Space:
Online Attack Scenario:
(Assuming one thousand guesses per second) 2.03 hundred thousand centuries
Offline Fast Attack Scenario:
(Assuming one hundred billion guesses per second) 2.43 months
Massive Cracking Array Scenario:
(Assuming one hundred trillion guesses per second) 1.77 hours

Even my 8-character passwords would take a while:

Time Required to Exhaustively Search this Password’s Space:
Online Attack Scenario:
(Assuming one thousand guesses per second) 2.13 thousand centuries
Offline Fast Attack Scenario:
(Assuming one hundred billion guesses per second) 18.62 hours
Massive Cracking Array Scenario:
(Assuming one hundred trillion guesses per second) 1.12 minutes

I’d highly doubt someone would ever use some sort of massive cracking array scenario to get into my Ancient Cities forum account…

You know that one website that requires an absurdly long password? Don’t be that one website.

It just makes people pick something with less entropy.

use a spreadsheet to remember them all - then copy and paste

I used to fear people would hack my computer and steal the pw so I write them down in a small notebook

Easiest solution is a password management software, there are plenty out there, and even some very good ones for free…