Music and sound design

Soundtracks make or break games for real tho. A compelling soundtrack can make an a good game AMAZING. Anno usually does a good job with their music. It keeps you interested and excited. I do agree that Neolithic sounds would be cool like drum beats and stuff like that. But as much as i want to be stuck listening to differing drum beat rhythms and rattles the whole time I play I would love some orchestral soundtrack pieces to give the game some emotion and flavor. I know a symphonic song isn’t Neolithic but this is a game not real life and all good games have good music

3 Likes

Aggree with cmurrsoultrain (-> dam it’s hard to copy ^^), something not totaly historical wouldn’t damage the game, something “neolithic like” or from “neolitlic inspiration” could be enough. Like when I here the soundtrack of the actual trailer I can style get into the game spirit.

3 Likes

Music and sound effects are different things.
Game music doesn’t have to be Neolithic, but if you see citizens playing music or dancing in game -and this is only and example and it is not in the game (yet?)- , that is an FX and we should use a Neolithic music speculation.

5 Likes

Seems to be a smart compromize.

1 Like

who has seen the movie “Caveman” rotflol

my cave dwellers will play “Korn”

Not bad I find the music of Derek and Brandon Fiechter. Just not sure ,if you can stand this for hours …

1 Like

Hey! I wanted to ask if the music heard in the presentation videos (Basic building & Ancient Cities : kickstarter) is original (performed by Lluis?).

Yes, it is. But Lluis is no longer tied to the project as he has decided to continue with some personal projects he had before AC started that keep him fully occupied. Since the game announcement we have received literally tons of offers from other composers, many of them very good. At some point we should pick one to develop the final soundtrack, difficult choice, really.

3 Likes

Oh, tough! :open_mouth: Hopefully we’ll see the future composer on the forum :blush:

more cowbell

Hello all,
I didn’t had time to read you all above, but just wanted to share some kind of music which could be well integrated in this kind of game.

• A bit too tribal but really nice : Amelia by Chancha Via Circuito, it could be part of the home page as well as in historical’s frame of the game.
  • The famous Trio Joubran and/or Anouar Brahem could be well integrated with this game as well, as part of “relaxing” music during game. Ok I agree it is a too much elaborated music to be “realistic” with prehistorical age musics but whatever ! :slight_smile:
    If not these two above mentioned but in this kind of Arabic jazz/blues is quite nice for hears and accompanying players through a beautiful game.
  • Otherwise yes let’s see with freelance composers :wink:

Cheers.

Neolithic Deer Antler and Hoof Rattle!

This is the first full musical instrument I have made recreating Neolithic music. We know western European Neolithic people had these materials and the tools I used for this instrument, and we know subsequent cultures used these designs. While technically supposition, it seems like a rather likely postulation that rattles like this may have been used, along with drums, singing and other similar instruments.

I used river smoothed basal and obsidian microliths to cut the Linear Potter Culture grooves into the deer antler, as well as drill the holes in the hooves.

Neolithic tool making is messy, which leads to middens, which is why we find such debris at archaeological sites, today! \o/

Pine tar was burned and dripped on the end to hold the hand-spun flax in place.

Music could be made for the game… If @Uncasual wants, I could finish making a few more instruments and record their sound with a higher quality mic.

1 Like