Dawn of Man < NOTHING to worry about

I have experienced some of the same problems and find slowing down and keeping around 100% the solution.

I agree they are one of the most polished for a beta but as pointed out by Ryan it is lacking in a few areas of the AI which brings me to the point the AC group needs to hold fast to no public alpha and a very controlled and limited first pass beta.

My take on Dawn of man is great game released just a little early which may turn into the number one game of the year provided developers can produce a few needed AI improvements this year and follow up with a major upgrade end of year or early 2020.

I agree with others that DOM will if any thing help sales of AC and in truth AC will help sales of DOM provided AC provides the depth as planed.

After maybe 50 hr of very enjoyable play excepting a few starved hunters to stupid to eat :astonished: before going out hunting I will wait for a few more patches and maybe a update before giving it any rating. Again good reason not to release to soon.

Great review thanks for all the effort enjoyed reading and agree for the most Part especially

Also think your are correct on

Granted a little critical but your are 100% correct but I think once the modding group kicks in this type of thing will be improved on. I also point out Northern Europe Neolithic was considerably different than for example Australia for one and even Southern Europe. And by some accounts North America actually stayed in Neolithic times until European’s arrived :thinking: so unless you qualify a game by saying Europe Neolithic times there is a fair amount of latitude that can be given to dress tools and skin color without technically being wrong.

2 Likes

There is no way to be sure of the exact setting as the company does not specify (other than, “Ice Age”), but the building styles are loosely European looking, as are some of the technologies.

It seems like a mix of European and semi-Asian prehistoric settings, but not really Paleo-American (they have different names for their periods). The clothing is unknown for Neolithic Europe and Asia, but we can make some good estimations (I do so ad nauseam in the Clothing thread lol). The skin coloring would vary as you say, but the very light colored people should not exist until at least the middle Neolithic, at the earliest.

Those details were nothing I expected the game developers to get into as they are going for quicker money. I am hoping the AC dev’s are more inclined to make better looking clothing (hope!).

As I said I agree with you about the skin color but my guess is the developers made the choice based more on money then authenticity the lighter skin color relates to more “Paying” gamers. We will see within the next 18 months if the DoM group are in it only for the money or the craft as I believe they have generated enough interest to finance the next round of updates which could be fluff or corrections to the AI, realism, more historic accuracy with enough fluff to maintain interest.

I also agree to hope! AC improves on clothing and period Correctness but more importantly they concentrate on getting the AI & UI correct and let the Modders take care of things like Clothing, Pottery, Tools, Totems etc. to make them period correct.

Just remember you only get one first chance and missing on period correctness will not doom the game but messing up on fundamental AI could very well.

Lets see I have a good supply of food I am hungry but not starving I think I will run 3/4 of the way across the map to hunt food that I wont eat till I bring it back to camp.

On the other hand I have a young female hunter in a long white beaded tunic and head dress who grabs a quick bite to eat some supplies and another hunter then takes off after game 3/4 of the way across the map to hunt.

The first scenario can doom the game because many may not give the game a second chance the second scenario some may laugh at but it is playable and most may believe correctable in future patches or updates

Both of fixes have about the same difficulty but the first scenario will result in countless complaints bug reports costing waisted time and effort and may never get fixed because of money.
Second results in comments like “Games great but get real women in dresses hunting Mammoths hope they get it right next time” but they will continue to play which means more money and hopefully enough people putting period correctness on there Wishlist that either Modders or developers can address. One thing it wont generate is bug reports which means the developers can concentrate true bugs and improvements.

By the way experience has taught me in modding there is a 90-10 rule of what can be done 90% of aesthetics can be changed but only 10% of the AI can be changed. (Truthfully more like 50-2%)

2 Likes

Modding is probably one of the most important things one can do for a game. It gives life and longevity.

I was dismayed even more so with DoM because I could not find modding tools for it.

If AC has day one modding tools, or at least the ability to unpack the media resources for simple and direct manipulation, people like me will simply create a mods to fix any problems.

I converted my entire Skyrim game into a prehistoric game, though it took over 200 mods LOL

3 Likes

In theory I could not agree with you more about day one modding.

In truth I believe it would be one of the biggest mistakes a 4 man development teem could make to release modding at beta or even first release.
How I support this statement.

Day one of beta I assume half of the 5,000 pass holders will start playing the game! (they should do a alpha beta to only 50 without telling any one if they were smart)

Day one plus one hour they will have at least 10% or 250 bug reports and screaming players saying.
“THE GAME WONT RUN ON MY COMPUTER”
This will take at least a week to sort out my guess only one of the developers has the ability to correct this so he will be out of the picture for that week.

Day two (We all have binged all night playing) 1% or 25 of us have found the same bug so the other three programmers will sort out and try to make sense and reproduce the bug if they are lucky again it takes a week to fix. Note if alpha was not good enough who knows how long it will take.

The day by day ends hear because with a 4 man teem no one other than form members will be posting or doing any thing .

Day 8 the team without looking at the form or bug report posts a fix and all agree to turn there computers off and get 12 hours of sleep :weary:

Day 9 the AC team wakes up :sunny: to at least 1,000 bug reports :sob: granted 50% of them are actually Wishlist and nit picking regardless it will take them the better part of a month to get it sorted out with an additional 10-20 reports a day coming in but now 80% will be whish list and nit picking but by now they know who to pay attention to :wink:

If all goes well give it another month and all the bugs and compatibility problems have been solved :partying_face: (Did you know I own the Mona Lisa? You interested ill sell it for 100k)
Ok not quite but every one thinks its ready for release or at least ready to take a chance.

Next 4 months developers spend there time completely frustrated because all they are doing is chasing obscure bugs and unreproducible problems. If things go well and sales are good they update there

Any time before 6 months they release modding to even the beta group you can triple the time it will take to get to the general release date not to mention that it will take them a month to write documentation.

Read my post on money for more detail on my opinion of the needs and the reality of AC and there money status.

AC Dev team please read

After you think your in house Alpha is done hopefully out of your backers find up to 10 people who will purchase a dedicated computer to test with hopefully half of who are tried and true modders with the resources to purchase the same tools you are using to develop. hand hold them for two weeks to a month or as long as it takes to work out the bugs they find get at least one of the modders to write a few simple mods and guides. Make this group your form leaders they will save you an unbelievable amount of time, money and head ache during beta and release. By the time the beta is finished the modders should have worked out the kinks of simple mods to come up with a time line of when you can release modding to backers and then eventually general public.

One other suggestion especially if you follow my suggestion of the 10 post Alpha testers release the beta test to 10 people at a time with different video cards and computers to make sure the software installs and runs. (high end computers and video cards first as these are the people who will scream the loudest if it doesn’t install on a general release)

In summery think crowd source for PR, IT and Pre-Release Marketing and support.

2 Likes

May I ask the name of the mod? Would love to play it.

It was a collection of over 200 different mods. I added at least two dozen, mostly affecting textures or modifying items. I don’t have a mob list, but they all came off of Nexus mods for the most part.

My mods were private and not published. Their purpose was to create an environment just like the one my novel characters exist in. Not only did I find this enjoyable oh, but it got me in the mood for writing.

1 Like

O no :open_mouth: is invaded Dawn of man talk about divergence from time period.

I mistyped mob instead of mod.

Kind of figured that :thinking:

But never know new technology or political belief organized crime :sunglasses:

Thank you for your review.

I have a question regarding housing.

In DOM, early tents are made out of sticks and dried anima skin. Later at transition into agriculture, when straw becomes available, they start making huts out of mud and straw. I haven’t seen any structures in AC screenshots made out of anything other than straw. Did people not make tents out of animal skin before agriculture? Did they use other plants?

2 Likes

It is simplified for gameplay reasons, and to better display a form of evolution. You can technically make a hut out of everything: branches, animal hides, straw, mud… Plus you don’t need to discover agriculture to magically start harvesting crops. It is believed the built shelter was invented before the homo Sapiens as well.

The skin “tipi” you see on many paleolithic recreations corresponds to both the available materials (skin hides) and the cold, harsh climate. Said climate changed over the years, the neolithic climate is pretty much like the one we have today.

I think all the round huts we’ve seen so far are made out of sticks… We still have to see a completed longhouse, which will most probably be thatched!

3 Likes

Dawn of Man is a game, this is an idea! Ones actually playable, the other has never seen the light of day.

One is the game, still under construction. The other is a bad game trying to be a game. Your choice.

2 Likes

Right, that is what I meant, they are all thached in AC. They are made out of sticks also in DOM, but the covering changes between eras. So I just wanted to know what is more historically accurate.

If I understood right, since AC’s setting seems to be in a modern climate, they would probably use crops and not animal skin as they may be plentiful regardless of agriculture. Maybe in the Ice Age expansion skin and bone dwellings like the one below will be more appropriate than in the base game due to a different climate.

Thank you for a thorough response.

2 Likes

They likely did. Simple pole frames with outter coverings of:
Dried grass
Dried grass + mud
Tree Bark
Fried hides
Sticks
Sticks + mud
and likely other stuff lol

There were dozens of different types of buildings.

Games rarely do the complexity of actual ancient architecture justice.

4 Likes

Now this is a proper multi-lane longhouse. This one looks like an LBK longhouse, the same type my prehistoric novel characters lived in lol

1 Like

I don’t think you don’t need grain crops for thatch, can’t you use reeds or rushes?

2 Likes

Correct. Reeds and wild grasses are more common. Using wheat for your thatch invites mold/fungus which can devastate your wheat harvest.

2 Likes