Dawn of Man < NOTHING to worry about

It is simplified for gameplay reasons, and to better display a form of evolution. You can technically make a hut out of everything: branches, animal hides, straw, mud… Plus you don’t need to discover agriculture to magically start harvesting crops. It is believed the built shelter was invented before the homo Sapiens as well.

The skin “tipi” you see on many paleolithic recreations corresponds to both the available materials (skin hides) and the cold, harsh climate. Said climate changed over the years, the neolithic climate is pretty much like the one we have today.

I think all the round huts we’ve seen so far are made out of sticks… We still have to see a completed longhouse, which will most probably be thatched!

3 Likes

Dawn of Man is a game, this is an idea! Ones actually playable, the other has never seen the light of day.

One is the game, still under construction. The other is a bad game trying to be a game. Your choice.

2 Likes

Right, that is what I meant, they are all thached in AC. They are made out of sticks also in DOM, but the covering changes between eras. So I just wanted to know what is more historically accurate.

If I understood right, since AC’s setting seems to be in a modern climate, they would probably use crops and not animal skin as they may be plentiful regardless of agriculture. Maybe in the Ice Age expansion skin and bone dwellings like the one below will be more appropriate than in the base game due to a different climate.

Thank you for a thorough response.

2 Likes

They likely did. Simple pole frames with outter coverings of:
Dried grass
Dried grass + mud
Tree Bark
Fried hides
Sticks
Sticks + mud
and likely other stuff lol

There were dozens of different types of buildings.

Games rarely do the complexity of actual ancient architecture justice.

4 Likes

Now this is a proper multi-lane longhouse. This one looks like an LBK longhouse, the same type my prehistoric novel characters lived in lol

1 Like

I don’t think you don’t need grain crops for thatch, can’t you use reeds or rushes?

2 Likes

Correct. Reeds and wild grasses are more common. Using wheat for your thatch invites mold/fungus which can devastate your wheat harvest.

2 Likes

Just curious how do you know that there are all black people?

I think you are asking how I know people in the Mesolithic and before were darker skinned?

If yes, it is because the distribution of the genes SLC24A5, SLC45A2 and HERC2/OCA2 can be tracked through human history using samples taken from inhumations, as well as analysis of current genetic distributions.

There are a number of more in depth scholarly white papers on this, but the article below explains pretty. Well. Note: I checked my own genetic data (which I had mapped) and found SLC24A5, SLC45A2 genes, though I am not sure which exact SNP are in play.

1 Like

Thank you and forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between dark skin and black. Is this pc speak?

1 Like

The terms can be synonymous, depending on the context. Technically speaking, the entire human race was black/dark skinned at one point, the only difference between ethnicities are a few variations in genes. We are all the same species.

Very true, thank you. I did not want to be using the wrong wording.

1 Like

White skin started to appear in Scandinavia by the 9th millennium BC, which is the start of the Neolithic in the Middle-East but Mesolithic in Europe and in some cases some people still in the Palaeolithic. Not everyone was in the Neolithic.

So no, white skin should not exist at least in the Middle Neolithic, it would be the Mesolithic for Europeans.

The Hunters and farmers in the Near East and East, in general, had lighter skin than the Western Hunters.

1 Like

Well, there’s a bit more to the picture…
Your picture shows Nordic Mesolithic HG’s light skin allele frequency for those SNPs around the 8th millennium BCE (9ya = 9000 years ago [should be written 9000a]), which is ~7000 BCE.

So yes, that is the Mesolithic for that area, though the Neolithic had existed in other places as long as 3-5ka years before that (levant). You don’t get European Neolithic until ~6ka, aside from a few minor populations at the far eastern edges, until the LBK shows up. They had lighter skin, but the majority of the population of the region was still Mesolithic, as late as perhaps 3000 BCE in some places. You also have interbreeding due to exogamy, etc. So you cannot go with that graphic. It’s useful, but don’t really describe the nuance of the region. There are a number of good scholarly paper which do become granular, but this is a very situation set of events. A wide picture works, but it’s necessarily low detail.

If you are really interested, I’d look up the Linear Pottery Culture.
They are the main group I work with. Here’s a lovely picture I had commission of a little LBK village in Germany, circa 5500 BCE. Notice they are mostly “white” but the weaver woman’s mother was Mesolithic. Her mother’s DNA carries to her children (fisher boy and hunter girl).

I already know of the Linearbandkeramik, tis one of the first things you’re taught about in European prehistories.

That image shows the basic regions on which areas had light, dark or intermediate skin colours, that is from a very good academic book. The Neolithic was well in the Balkans long before Linearbandkeramik along with Andalusia. The people in the East were lighter skin than the people in the West, that is where it came from unlike Western hunters as shown.

" Volume 29, Issue 9
Focus Theme Issue: Dermatoendocrinology"

Hanel, Andrea. (2020). Skin colour and vitamin D: An update. Experimental Dermatology. 10.1111/exd.14142.

Oh, for sure

These scene shows a late Mesolithic woman from Northumbria in the back and an early LBK woman in the front. The woman in front has two of three SNP’s for lighter skin, but she’s still a bit dark, as well as tanned from not wearing much most of the time.

It is surprising just how long Mesolithic and Neolithic people coexisted.

Mesolithic Woman (Brig’dha)
MtDNA - U5
Paternal YDNA - I2A1

Neolithic Woman (Kaelu)
MtDNA - H1
Paternal YDNA - Rb1 (unsure of the subclade)

• Paternal YDNA is from father but neither has it. It’s there to indicate the background of their fathers even though female humans do not usually have much yDNA (they actually do, but not most of their DNA. That’s another complex issue)