Bronze Age Expansion

I had remenber that I have a book about architecture (the autors are Werner Müller and Gunther Vogel) during the years, it has a lot of interesting graphics about architecture and urbanism.This is the timeline.

2 Likes

I hope you find it interesting, if yes I will post another pictures. There is more (about Egypt, Minoic and Micenic civilizacions) but I will post only the graphics about mesopotamy. The book is in spanish but I think you will understand well the graphics and technical words.

Palaces 1:

Temples 1:

Farms:

Mayor cities:

Palaces 2:

Temples 2:

Monuments:

Urbanism:

Temples 3:

Houses:

5 Likes

Of course we love references.

El español también lo entendemos :wink:

4 Likes

Y el catalán creo que alguno(s) de vosotros también :slightly_smiling_face:. Lo decía más por los demás foreros.

Ok! Tomorrow will post more pictures about Egypt if I have time (I know that you are working now in base game Atlantic neolithic and I like it, but I am very expectant about bronze age in Mesopotamia, the game looks awesome).

4 Likes

I really hope the Bronze Age expansion covers Egypt! I love old Kingdom Egypt!

Yes, I have made clothing models from that time period and I can even make Egyptian linen, though that is quite a time-consuming activity lol

they had amazing things during that time, such as this fourth Dynasty bead net dress. The real one took 7000 beads, but this little doll-sized one took 420 beads lol

If you do including Egypt, let me know if you need any clothing references as I have piles of books with them and I actually have some of the outfits already made, full size.

(yes, I love ancient clothing)

2 Likes

Hi! Today is all about Egypt! Maybe there are parts far beyond Bronze Age, but I think that here are OK.

Mayor cities:

Monumental buildings:

Urbanism 1:

Details:

Palaces:

Temples 1:

Houses:

Temples 2:

Temples 3:

Pyramids 1:

Temples 4:

Pyramids 2:

1 Like

Wonderful pictures! The pre-dynastic periods would also apply. I personally think the artwork from pre-dynastic Egypt is amazing!

Hi! Today I will post pictures about Micenic, Troyan and Minoic Crete civilizations (I have more about Greece but they aren’t from the bronze age, maybe later). Enjoy.

The map:

Minoic palaces:

Minoic and Micenic details:

Cnosos laberynt:

Houses in minoic era:

Malia palace:

Minoic Urbanism:

Troya and Micenas:

Micenic fortress:

Micenic thomb:

Tipologies:

2 Likes

What book titles are those?
They look really nice!!

Atlas Baukunst-Band I. Allegemeiner Teil. Baugeschichte von Mesopotamien bis Byzanz
Authors Werner Müller and Gunther Vogel
Ilustrators: Inge Szasz and Istvan Szasz
Atlas Baukunst-Band II.Baugeschichte von der Romanik bis zur Gegenwart is the second book.

1 Like

it doesn’t sound like it’s in English, but my phone can translate images in real time, so it might still be something I should buy. Thank you!

LOL. You can find the book even in Basque. :wink: https://www.ehudenda.eus/en/1373/9670-4180.html

1 Like

Just want to say you guys are thinking linier DONT DONT same goes to the developers if you do the game will end up just like every other sim and world builder. let me give you hint Europe advances faster than north America they explore then colonize north America.
Early Neolithic is the starting point a land mass is a land mass there is nothing to say you cant find a 10 ton raw vein of copper and develop coper or bronze tools before discovering farming with this one discovery you end up advancing farming 10 times faster but are so comfortable and have such a abundance of food and time your population advances medicine and art but never advances to the iron age much like American Indians never advanced out of the Neolithic age. With your abundance of food and being the only group with copper/bronze tools you then explore with impunity but instead of subjugating or capturing you teach and share forming the largest cooperative society on earth that never developed weapons or experienced warfare.

All of the above because Track and Sargon applied concepts of other cultures and ages to a Europe based Neolithic game not holding to the preconceived notion that we advanced from nomadic existence because of gathering, farming and hunting. So don’t sell your self’s short. try to think non liner game could have some interesting twists.

PS The game ends in 1492 when Geronimo after discovering Iron and gunpowder sails to Europe with 10,000 native Americans and subjugates the entire continent :sob: Did not say the game would have a great ending just some interesting twists :wink:

Since Neolithic mean “New Stone” I think it very anachronistic to have copper and bronze tools since their appearance is the start of a new age : Chalcolithic
It would imply that the appearance of Metallurgy as nothing to do with the Neolithic revolution (which is the biggest change in mankind history). You are jumping over 6000 years.
One thing to keep in mind is the need of tools. Before permanent settlement and agriculture you do not really need metal tools. They are heavier than stone tools and need a special site and more time to be created. Metal tool is advantageous if you use them a lot in a same place (better durability) and do not carry them for too long.

1 Like

Yep that’s my point think outside the box if offers the possibility to change the liner game to a divergent game it promotes replay ability

You think copper and bronze tools how about as jewelry for trade goods, or pots and pans for cooking or a malleable flat formed sheet for redirecting water.

I do agree when to comes to basic stone vrs metal tools man will follow the path of least resistance and greatest need.

I agreed for the jewelry. Gold was probably the first metal to be used (low melting point and easy modelling).
However not for pan and pots : ceramics do nearly the same job and are ten time easier to make. It used a lot of metal and need a correct level of purity to prevent leaks when heated multiple time.

But again pot and pan in metal or ceramics are useful for permanent settlement. Very impractical for nomadic when animal hide can be used as cooking pot or bag.

1 Like

it does seem like a lot of early metal working was done for the purpose of decoration. They already had most of the tools they needed using stone, so I suspect decoration and flaunting of wealth what’s more important.

Egtved Girl is a pretty good example. Most of her objects are not metal, and the only major one she has is a large disc used for decoration.

Yep all good points totally agree.

As I said I agree totally but do me a favor think about the following

Working Metal is a specialty.
Working with ceramics is a specialty
Tanning more of a necessity but could also be a specialty

In later Neolith times village size has grown to the point both specialties can be practiced
But think about building a liner train of events for specializing with only one when population is low. Now add in the divergence to trade, defense etc. for having stuck with just one specialty. This is the type of thinking I am trying to add to the game to provide a diversity and replay ability.

Potential late game effect.
Tribe that specialized in metal working in jewelry, pots and pans gains metal tools and weapons at same time as others but already has annealing, hardening and sharpening skills/technology and is established as a leader in trade. net result other cultures want to
A. Invade and conquer but are held in check because of awe
B. Invade and conquer believing there strength will prevail.
C. Live in peace with cooperation and trade.
This gives us late game non liner options and again as I said replay ability

I am 100% for specialization of villages, especially for later eras (Bronze Age Expansion - #24 by louis.mervoyer). The more specializations the better.

However I think that the basic level of each techs must unlock in a logical order. But it could interesting to link progress to needs rather than techs :
For example you need a reliable source of foods to establish a settlement which can have metal working. But you can use farming, fishing, livestock or a mix in order to reach it.
Each field can be specialized :
farming : start with dissemination of wild plant seeds => “forest garden” (removing other plants or the one with disease) => first field => crop selection (several level) => irrigation
livestock : hunting => kill other predators => increase the natural habitat (cup trees) => small herd => animals selection (several level)
etc…
That way you can have a village with advance fishing and metal techs but only basic farming and ceramics.

Each time you specialize further you increase your yield or the trade value of your goods.
And it could apply to any field : clothing, art, monuments, weaving,…

1 Like

It could be interesting to create a general topic for village specialization in the forum because if the message are gather in a unique spot it will be easier for the devs