Types of Crops

So the Neolithic founder crops are flax, wheat (specifically emmer and einkhorn wheat), barley, lentil, chickpea, pea, and bitter vetch. These plants were domesticated by the Holocene period, originating in the Fertile Crescent region (Middle East) but made their way to Europe and North Africa. It’s been suggested by archaeologists that wheat and barley where domesticated a bit before the aforementioned legumes. I’m not sure what other plants would have been cultivated, as this could have been subject to regional variation.Some sites in the Middle East show the early cultivation of fruit like figs.

Anyways, since the creators of Ancient Cities have noted that they want to make this game fairly historically accurate, then maybe knowing what people in the Neolithic cultivated would be good. I always get pissed off when I play a city builder set in the Middle Ages and yet they’ve got things like tomatoes, potatoes, corn, and sunflowers (all of which came to Europe after contact was made with the Americas). I’d hate to see corn show up in Ancient Cities (unless there was an expansion set in the Americas and teosinte was a crop instead).

Apologies if this topic has already been covered elsewhere.

3 Likes

You just ruin Banished for me. :smile:

If it helps, you can just download Colonial Charter and pretend that you’re a pioneer or something :wink:

I never saw Banished as medieval city builder myself ( not even vanilla ). It feels more like a XIX century city builder.
About the crops in AC, you are right: Don’t expect to find corn, potatoes or tomatoes in Neolithic Europe.

7 Likes