Prisoners and POW

I’ve spent some time reading how archaeologists could find any proof of slavery in Neolithic (being more in the history field myself I’m far more accustomed to more “direct” evidences, so this is clearly curiosity).

I found this article, by four French ones, that has to link to two different addresses:

Also, in the French article (page 110) is an interesting thing about a tomb found in Colmar, Alsace. A surprising thing that has been found there is that it’s looking a lot like those common graves described in the article(s): one lone person, being thrown randomly in the grave (see picture), that could be thought as a satellite tomb around a chief’s grave. However, there were 2 necklaces with 56 beads made in copper, weighting 400 gr – which is an obvious sign of wealth.

So why would a body be thrown randomly and without any form of respect, while are buried with him such manifestations of richness? In fact, it seems this man was one of the elements of a potlatch as practiced by Northwestern American tribes: by sacrificing both the supposed slave and the two necklaces, their owner showed to the community (or the gods?) his wealth and the value of his sacrifice.

Once again, this was long. But I think that’s a good insight on the way late Neolithic men seen themselves and others.

2 Likes

Very interesting, for sure. As you said yourself, archaeology often requires a lot more interpretation than more recent history. One problem to contend with is the possibility of discontinuity of actors. What I mean by this is that we tend to assume that everybody acted similarly within a particular culture. We see something done and we assume that it was standard to that culture.

Consider this supposition:

An older son survives an attack which leaves his father and younger brother killed. He is now in charge of the tribe. He buries his father honorably, but has his brother thrown into the grave because he hates him. He dare not strip his brother of his prized possessions or he would offend the rest of the family, but perhaps the body might have been tossed in after the main family members had stepped away. While there’s no evidence for this of course, such a situation would be virtually impossible to determine. Archaeologist might later assume something more significant when looking at the evidence.

Of course there’s nothing wrong with the scientists coming to A reasonable explanation based on the evidence, but one must always consider the fact that we don’t know for sure and there’s always the opening for other interpretations.

That being said, I would suspect that more overt forms of slavery did occur in some fashion, and these might be considered different from what I was referring to, stolen women and children. While the women and children are also technically slaves, they would adapt into the culture and eventually become members of the tribe, whereas someone who specifically kept as a slave may never be accepted.

One other interesting consideration might be the drawbacks of slavery. Slaves are dangerous because they are independent actors who often have a reason to want to both escape and harm those who had harmed them. With a slave you must be vigilant that they do not seek retribution and you must also provide accommodation and food for them. While this is probably not a problem for a few slaves, anything larger than a handful would quickly be burdensome to a society, as well as intrinsically dangerous.

2 Likes

(sorry for commenting months later)

I was under the understanding that slavery was virtually unknown, or very rare, among nomadic groups of olden days. Slavery on any practical level requires a good deal of sedentary life, and the consequences thereof, like established norms and differentiation of labour. If everyone does almost exactly the same thing, and you regularly move, and can only carry limited amounts… and all humans are essentially equal in what we would describe as wealth and knowledge… slavery really can’t function other than as an exception, and temporarily. Not to mention that it wouldn’t be chattel slavery, but I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. We know, however, that slavery was widespread in sedentary agricultural civilisations with writing, and that there is no reason it should not have been widespread long before writing was invented. Slavery must, in most cases, therefore appear.

Most probably, the kind of slavery suggested here, with marks and symbols and so forth, belong to a more advanced, organised society, surely pre-literary, but nevertheless sedentary, agricultural, civilised, stratified and populous. Bronze age expansion maybe? Before we reach that level, it seems the “mild” form of slavery that @lotus253 suggests, with snatching the womenfolk from other tribes, like the Romans once did, should have a definite place, already in the first release. Subjugating other tribes and clans might work too, I guess? Not to mention sending raiding parties abroad… And of course the odd case of a tribe member behaving so horribly as to be forever branded (literally?) a thrall, a slave, a servant. Maybe his children too…?

4 Likes

I’m all in for a “mild” slavery for the base game.

I’m sure most societies did not consider slavery as we understand that today. There are a number of historical cases where slaves were given real or symbolic power. Think e.g. of those Scytian slaves (archers, if I remember correctly?) that were used to prevent the citizen at Athens to lag behind instead of going to the Ekklesia, so that the meeting was not delayed. There are also famous cases at Rome or in the Ottoman Empire where slaves or eunuchs were given very important political functions, etc. And probably there was also a strong pragmatism at work, as we know of the cruel situations at Athens (Laurium mines) and Rome (where the laws stated the slave was a property and his/her master had a right of death and life on him/her).

My vision may be a bit naive there, but I think that those slaves had in fact no worst condition than most of the members of any given society. And historically the word “slave” has been (and still is) commonly used by “lower” categories of the hiearchy in any population, like workers in the industrial countries in the 19th century, the serfs in European Middle ages (whose names, incidentally, means “slave”), and today by a number of public opinion pressure groups. Basically, I think most of those slaves only had a lower rank in society, and had no better or worst living conditions than most people.

To such cases have to been added numerous attested examples of raids to capture people, which are also documented: just taking North American natives, they used to take prisoners at war, and depending on the cases could kill them, make them “real” slaves, or end up adopting them as wives or children, etc.

So @Grigor although I think you may be wrong on the visible signs of slavery I totally agree with a “mild” slavery. With interesting repercussions on the society: if you have too much slaves harshly treated, you could be facing a Spartian vs. Helots or Rome vs. Spartacus situation. Even if I honestly don’t think this was not that common in societies which counted only very limited members.

6 Likes

In the end, slavery is slavery.

A woman captured from a tribe and forced to marry and live in another tribe remains a slave no matter how she is treated. The treatment, however might be better in such a situation is the purpose is probably exgamy. Since your hope is that she will stay with you and not either end the suffering or runaway, or perhaps even take advantage of you sleeping with the sharpest blade she can find, giving her some measure of equality with the other women is probably pragmatic.

So in the Neolithic, I see slaves only existing in the following ways:

1. Captured women for wives (exogamy).
  2. Captured men/women for sacrifice (ritual killing, cannibalism [as seen in the LBK culture])
  3. Ritual capture (technically consensual) to satisfy 1. or 2., but agreed upon by both parties.
2 Likes

I would also tend in that direction. Certainly it also had an effect on the abilities of the person concerned and how he was integrated into the community. Real sense made slavery only when companies were sedentary and were to settle unpleasant routine tasks. One way would also be to “slave” yourself as a slave to get protection of a society or to pay a debt.
For nomads, slaves were more of a burden, unless they had special skills.

1 Like

As I’ve mentioned before, some of the slavery may have had a ritualistic component. In fact, some of it may have been fully consensual in a ritualistic fashion ( which would technically not be slavery, but probably based upon slavery). Perhaps this could be seen in a ritualistic sort of way.

Example:

A girl tends the wheatfields.
In 10 days, she will undergo the ritual to be made a woman.
A boy, now a man, in the neighboring river tribe has met with her several times at night and they have talked. It was love at first sight.
He has just been made a man that harvest, and soon he must prove himself.
As has been the ritual of old, he will come in the night in 15 days time and capture her, taking her away to the new life that she has waited so long to begin.
Her parents, as well as his already know what they plan, but it will be carried out any ritualistic fashion as it always is.
As he rushes in to the tribe to grab her, arrows and spears will fly his way just as they have in the time of old, but the warriors of her tribe will not really be trying to hit him…

1 Like

I would be uncomfortable with slavery in a game, but if that is what the designers and the people that play the game want, shrugs.

To add to lotus253 first point the Hebrews and I think the Babylonians or Assyrian empires allowed people to become slaves to pay off debt and whatever else. (This was also done by England and Europe before Africans were sold into slavery.)

Question could not this whole idea get to complicated for actual game play?

2 Likes

The “mild” slavery suggested by @lotus253 seems perfect for the release version. More advanced form of slavery, be it debt slavery, indentured servants or chattel slavery, I believe is something for the future, including marks and symbols.

@badbear, one solution is to do what has been suggested elsewhere in the forum: allowing the player to guide the tribe towards a certain model of society. Through events, triggered by your tribesmembers, and modified by the environment and all the knowledge and experiences of your people, and other people, the player would be given the chance to slowly, piece by piece, establish certain norms and laws. Every time something unexpected happens, and a decision needs to be made, the player will be forced to make a decision, for better or worse. Future decisions will depends on previous decisions, and the thoughts and hopes and beliefs of your people. If you went against the beliefs of the tribe last time… maybe the tribe will change its mind? Or not? And so, the player can, over time, create different tribes, some that condone slavery, some that do not, some that view men and women as more equal, some as less so… and so forth. Would that be a good solution, @badbear?

2 Likes
  1. Capture woman, take her away and feed her properly.

2a. Rape but do not despoil.

2b. Repeat until woman gets pregnant.

1. Woman gives birth.

4a. Promise her status as a mother in your tribe, accept the child if health otherwise return to stage 2/.

4b. Encourage her to love her chid, biology will back up this.

This is hardwired biology, and is little different to what happens in groupings of other primates.

You don’t make slaves of women, you make mothers of them. Men you drive off or kill. Children you adopt if young enough, or kill. There is no need for the concept of slavery or imprisonment.

From all I’ve read on the intent purpose of the game, A.C. wants to be a realistic city builder and society management game, relying as much as possible on scientific knowledge to get something as realistic as possible given our current knowledge on the past. As such, the devs clearly stated that they want to have realistic relations between the characters in game, which may be covered by the word “socializing” and much other aspects described in various places.

Clearly, aside of being a strange vision on ancient societies, this “breeding simulator” (to avoid saying “rape simulator”) you’re envisioning would be far from that.

2 Likes

Exciting thought “around the corner”. But it is much easier. First of all, we have to get rid of our picture of “African slaves in America”.
Although slaves were never “free,” but since they were always counted as property, they had value and enjoyed protection. Often, that’s why people had to sell themselves to pay off a debt. “Privat insolvency” was not invented yet. In this status they were simply “engines” supporting the society. Rank lowest category, yes, but nourished and valued according to their diligence and abilities. That may not always have been nice, but what alternative would have been there? After a lost battle? If you owed someone something or got into another emergency situation? One was alive, provisionally cared for and had opportunities. If necessary, to escape …

Translated into our present day: Employees, work - participants.
You can only choose your “master” yourself. But the company is not yours.

N, it wouldnt be a rape simulator, but I am translating reality into modern language.
Sabine women are an example here. When you face off against another tribe your female population goes up by the number of breeding age females you capture. It is as simple as that.

It is self evident those females would want to be elsewhere, and there is no, ‘no means no’, but it is not indicative or deliberate brutalisation. It will be expected. Lose your women, they end up making babies for the other side.

In game I would expect it to be handled thus, the captured women population would be a deliberate subset of all those a tribe captures, the rest are driven off or slain. They would not be allowed to hunt or leave camp until they were mothers and ‘get pregnant’ will be top probability on the character RNG. Once they are mothers they can be assigned the same probabilities and advancement of other females in the society.

What you’re depicting is kind of a fascist system, with the inferior people being women, while the men would be their masters.

I’ve stated a number of times on the forum that women should be a resource, exactly like men, with choices related to them as a finite resource and how to use them at best. I also proposed to have captures, being of women, children or men, as this is documented, e.g. for Native American tribes.

But I highly doubt any system as you’re depicting ever existed. Would you forget that the Sabine women defended the Romans when they faced the Sabine armies? Do you imagine they would have defended men that kept them as prisoners and sexual slaves? Please, read Livy to see the facepalm he’d make when reading this.

And, just for practicity, could you imagine a Neolithic village, or even one longhouse, most of the time without any real wall or gates and a number of gaps in the palisade (when there was one!), being guarded by 10 or 20 men to check the women would not flee? That’s just fantasy. Nothing more or less.

2 Likes

What you’re depicting is kind of a fascist system, with the inferior people being women, while the men would be their masters.

No what I am depicting is an accurate system based on biological realities. You are adding modern mentality and sensibilities to it and false flagging it as my own. Please stop. It would be difficult for you to get any further wrong.

I’ve stated a number of times on the forum that women should be a resource, exactly like men, with choices related to them as a finite resource and how to use them at best.

Women are not exactly like men, unless you want to go the SJW route. The devs might decide to take this step back from reality for sake of public sensibilities. It might not be a bad idea as accuracy can effect sales. Look at the trouble Kingdom Come Deliverence had because the game is set in a reasonably accurate 15th century Europe and there fails to ‘properly’ express gay rights, gender equality or ethnic diversity to the satisfaction of critics.
The devs do have a difficult decision to make regarding handling of gender roles in a game of this type.

I also proposed to have captures, being of women, children or men, as this is documented, e.g. for Native American tribes.

Native American tribes are a bad example, they seldom, almost never developed into a sedentary society. Also docomented native tribes had an inherent us and them going on. Captures of an other native tribe were still native tribesmen, not part of the larger and highly distinctive invader population. integration had a natural incentive. We know less about behaviours of native American tribes prior to European invasion.

On the other hand tribes from the Euro-Asian landmasses frequently followed the pattern I described. Even recently in fact. Amongst the Bedouin and African peoples still following a mobile tribal society the concept of highlighting captured females for rapid impregnation and forced integration was evidenced enough even in times when de facto slavery was uncommon. Bedou tribes sometimes lived this way in the early 20th century. Some remote African populations reported still do. Most such populations are Islamic and actively practice polygamy, and some practice FGM. The Bedou societal attitude to polygamy circa dawn of the 20th century is that ‘a man has as many wives as he can control’, which explains a lot about the mentality.
It is interesting to know that slave empires are long gone but the practices regarding captured women/bought women was retained until relatively recently and may possibly still be ongoing behind closed doors.

But I highly doubt any system as you’re depicting ever existed. Would you forget that the Sabine women defended the Romans when they faced the Sabine armies?

Actually this is exactly why I mentioned the Sabine women. Look back at what I was trying to explain to you, base your theory on biological realities. Women have more easily flexible social loyalties and the best way to ensure this is childbirth. In effect childbirth is a brainwashing event, it instills a level of parental bond in a free thinking advanced animal to match the instincts of a lesser animal. A lioness will defend her cubs with her own life because of instinct, self preservatio is overridden by programming and this is possible because a lioness doesnt have much mental capacity. A female human is a fully sapient being, it requires a process to program a human to act with the same level of drive as a lioness. Fathers are far more likely to abandon their children than mothers, and while our society has developed a lot to mke parentla responsibility active through social means rather than biological, and the biological bond can even be lessened by modern medicine, it is still a raw truth.

Now primitive man would have seen this as direct reality. You have to see the obvious because what is unspoken to us is all that they see. It makes sense that the first icons of worship in primitive man are the sun and human sexual organs, it makes sense that basic biological realities become more foundational in a society the more primitive it is.

Capture a woman and then get her pregnant she is very likely to become a loyal member of the capturers population once they have a child. This will not work in every situation but it will work enough to be a phenomena. Men do not have this dynamic, You don’t capture men unless it is to enslave them and for the more primitive cultures prior to slave Empire this is difficult. Tribal cultures don enslave men because they don’t have an infrastruture for incarceration, bronze age empires clearly did, but that was different.

Do you imagine they would have defended men that kept them as prisoners and sexual slaves? Please, read Livy to see the facepalm he’d make when reading this.

The game can show the transition. Neolithic societies are tribal and dont practice slavery, captured women are transformed into tribal mother with or without their will. Sedentary societies can develop infrastructure to have a caste of slaves kept in controlled environment. This will involve three major factors, a centralised control structure, a viable military individually superior to the slaves and building structures designed to control oppress or incarcerate them. Then one can have a separate slave population. Likely the slave population will become necessary to compete with other civilisations.

And, just for practicality, could you imagine a Neolithic village, or even one longhouse, most of the time without any real wall or gates and a number of gaps in the palisade (when there was one!), being guarded by 10 or 20 men to check the women would not flee? That’s just fantasy. Nothing more or less.

No, and if you understood what I had written quite plainly I might add, you would find your comment redundant. You don’t need much security because the captive population consists of individual women only and they need incarcerating usually only long enough for them to get pregnant give birth to children belonging to the capturers tribe.

2 Likes

Once again, we can’t have any serious debate or discussion. I don’t see myself as a feminist or anything similar, but just your text is a monument to fallacy and distortion for both sciences and any form of decency.

I won’t answer point after point, as basically there are too much things to comment. This means I reluctantly have to leave aside a number of insults your post is filled with. The forum readers will judge how you consider the Yazidi women taken by ISIL in Iraq, for instance.

I’ll answer on one point though, as I think this reveals your twisted manner of thinking:

I don’t know this Bedou society you’re speaking about. It is totally possible this was their way to see polygamy, so I’ll have to check this point whenever I have time. Until then, I’ll just see such an assumption as the produce of intellectual laziness and the fact you seem to consider Conan the Barbarian as an history book.

However, for every historical or current example I’ve studied, read about or discussed with involved people, and although I don’t pretend to know everything on every topic, the correct sentence would be

a man has as many wives as he may afford

The difference is a man doesn’t take a woman by force to rape her like she’s some kind of stupid animal being deprived of any intellect and only animated by instincts.

On the contrary, he goes through a number of steps considered as usual and decent in the society he lives in, most commonly one essential step being such a practice as dowry, that is seen sometimes as a “price” paid to his wive(s) family.

Then this man has to ensure a minimal standard of living to his wife. Failing to do that may, depending on the society he lives in, be resolved with a divorce, a feud, a social exclusion, etc.

And it’s only then that he may have (an)other wive(s), the whole process being closely checked by the whole society. And in every of those societies I’ve got a minimal knowledge on, another layer of social considerations may be added, in the sense that having several wives and ensuring they have a decent living is often a sign of wealth and prestige, exactly like a big car or a big house in most current Western(ized) societies.

As an example, it has long been a common practice in parts of Western Africa to see wives as a symbol of social prestige for the men, all those wives having to be over-weighted and as white-skinned as possible, because this meant their husband had the means to avoid them working (so keeping away from the sun) and lot of food to feed them.

Once again, we can’t have any serious debate or discussion. I don’t see myself as a feminist or anything similar, but just your text is a monument to fallacy and distortion for both sciences and any form of decency.

Once again, do not mistake explaining biological realities understood by ancient peoples as equal to modern sentiments.

I won’t answer point after point, as basically there are too much things to comment. This means I reluctantly have to leave aside a number of insults your post is filled with.

Stick to the issues.

The forum readers will judge how you consider the Yazidi women taken by ISIL in Iraq, for instance.

I am not applying modern sensibilities to historical realities.

I’ll answer on one point though, as I think this reveals your twisted manner of thinking:

Ok. Now if I am not applying modern sensibilities to historical realities then I am not applying my own standards to historical accords… Put it this way the majority desert Bedou people became the country of Saudi Arabia under Abdul Aziz around the turn of the last century.
Most modern western people do not agree with Saudi social ethos, however that doesnt mean we can’t understand it while being separate to it.

The difference is a man doesn’t take a woman by force to rape her like she’s some kind of stupid animal being deprived of any intellect and only animated by instincts.

An ancient man takes a wife by force for any number of reasons, to raise sons, for fun, etc. This is VERY prevalent, for example its also mentioned multiple times in the Biblical account. There are even Levitical laws specific gto how to conduct this.
Consequently it was normal, but then we are not talking about people with a 21st century societal code.

As for your ‘stupid animal’ comment, you grasped the complete opposite of what was written in plain text. Here it is again:

A female human is a fully sapient being, it requires a process to program a human to act with the same level of drive as a lioness”

On the contrary, he goes through a number of steps considered as usual and decent in the society he lives in, most commonly one essential step being such a practice as dowry, that is seen sometimes as a “price” paid to his wive(s) family.

We are discussing captive women not women purchased with a bride price.
I hope you do understand the difference between what is captured though violence and trade?

Then this man has to ensure a minimal standard of living to his wife. Failing to do that may, depending on the society he lives in, be resolved with a divorce, a feud, a social exclusion, etc.
And it’s only then that he may have (an)other wive(s), the whole process being closely checked by the whole society.

Nice sentiment, but sadly inaccurate. It is taken as a given that if a dominant male in a primitive culture that expands though violent aquisition will want to feed the women he breeds with. Reality assumes so. However it need not go further than that.

Take the Bedou as examples again, wealth was determined by number of camels a man has, but in reality unless a man was a lord and had other men following him, there was not too much difference between a wealthy tribesman and anyone but the poorest. In the Bedou culture a man was responsible for his own success, and could fashion an inheritence for his sons, but unless they too were strong what they inherited could be taken from them. If you did not stand up for yourself your camels would be taken from you. Taking your wives is different in Islamic law because that would be adultery, but you would lack for additional wives and those you had could and likely would leave you. I was quoting when I said a man has as many wives as he could control, that was the Bedou tribal way until only a few generations ago, and the cultural ramifications still have echoes in Saudi culture.

As an example, it has long been a common practice in parts of Western Africa to see wives as a symbol of social prestige for the men, all those wives having to be over-weighted and as white-skinned as possible, because this meant their husband had the means to avoid them working (so keeping away from the sun) and lot of food to feed them.

I have no problems believing that. But look at what you are saying. To keep wives away from the sun you have to keep them indoors, to do that you have to have a large established camp or a sedentary society. The Greeks idealised pale sedentary women, except Sparta which idealised sporty women. Going back to the bedou, if a man had the resources he would provide his women with permanent shelter. a special subdivided tent or tents with additional material for veils, and a special howdah that fits on a camel so she travels under a tent and the sun is kept from her. I do not know in the case of the Bedou if they idealised paler skin women, never looked into that to be honest, but they evidently idealised contained women, and still do.

Yes several wives is a sign of prestige, it also means several sons and a wider genepool from which to select/emerge the primary heir. This is plain and obvious enough it should be desirable for pre-literate societies as depicted by the game.

1 Like

@UncasualGames

Pretty please, could you add here all the end of this sick topic after this post? Rape and trolling definitively should not meddle in debates about the game. Keeping trash with trash is probably the way to go.

We have to look at history with eyes that view the ancient world. Neolithic peoples were not big on equal opportunities and this game is a sim.

Contrary to Elfryc’s concerns I am not asking for rape to be depicted in game, in fact I was very clear, all that would happen is that captured women would have a very high chance of becoming pregnant. How that happens is left unstated but understood by the game mechanics.

I made an honest effort to explain this to him, the following quote is in the context of the result of conflict and spoils between migratory tribes prior to the establishment of a sedentary slave empire economy:

In game I would expect it to be handled thus, the captured women population would be a deliberate subset of all those a tribe captures, the rest are driven off or slain. They would not be allowed to hunt or leave camp until they were mothers and ‘get pregnant’ will be top probability on the character RNG. Once they are mothers they can be assigned the same probabilities and advancement of other females in the society.

Now I do in part also agree with him, up to a point. some games have got itno trouble because they have failed to express modern sensibilities. This is an issue the game developers will have to consider. SJW’s in the gaming community will be triggered if a game doesnt fully express equal gender rights as expressed in 21st century western society, and will not be dissuaded by the fact that Ancient Cities is intended to be a historical sim and not a fantasy setting. Dungeons and Dragons can get away with absolute gender equality, historical games likely cannot.

Take a leaf out of what happened with the launch of Kingdom Come Deliverence. A game that was historically researched in great depth and reflected 15th century Europe as accurately as the devs could manage. It was and is an achievement. However modernist games reviewers were heavily critical of the game for not including diversity (no black characters), homophobia (because the game did not gloss over 15th century religious doctrine) and sexism.
The developers stood their ground and weathered this, but it might have effected sales.

I doubt ethnic or homophobic complaints will come your way from an accurate game, Ancient times were likely more sexually liberated than pre-reformation Catholic Europe, and the issue can be entirely avoided (Kingdom Come Devliverance is an RPG and includes levels of societal detail Ancient Cities can entirely gloss over) and most people will be tanned. However any accurate ancient sim might not include gender rights to the extent that an SJW would like, which is often on a give-inch-take-mile basis.

I have moved this post here as the right topic for them.
Now, to avoid this to escalate:

I think both of you are right to some extent. The conversation is interesting and fair polite to keep it.

Slavery in small communities are not a realistic thing to have, just because they have not the means to keep slaves for long.
But if I recall right there are Neolithic mass graves were women are not as present as they should, like if women kidnapping really existed. We have written accounts for that in ancient historic times too. Those women hardly were used for hard labour. At this point survival is a hard choice for them. Or being integrated in the new tribe or be killed or sent to the wilderness. I think for many the choice would be cristal clear, even more if they were taken with their young children.
I can’t hardly imagine how any other “slavery” system -if that can be named that way- could work in the time. Those women would choose to stay and probably receive a fair treatment after that.

Now, can we put that in game?
As with any other topic that could harm modern sensitivities -to a point- it would be a candidate for a properly rated dlc.

EDIT:
Reading a few post that I missed.
Please, keep personal out of discussion.

4 Likes