Paleoamerican culture

so we agree that the Olmec are not a Paleoamerican culture, but are still badass? XD

100% Badass.

some of the coolest art in all the ancient americas.

The Archaic period in American prehistory strongly parallels that Neolithic period in Eurasian prehistory, with the domestication of crops, animals, the first settled communities and eventually incipient city-states. I think it would make a great expansion or mod.

As far as I know, the archaic period of Paleoamerican culture was typified by diversification of economies within hunter gatherer groupsā€¦ I donā€™t know of any Paleolithic connection, so could you please provide me with a source to educate myself more?

In North America sunflowers and squashes were domesticated in the Archaic, and the adoption of sedentary agriculture (based on crops from the south) formally marks the start of the Formative period (analogous to the Mesolithicā€“Neolithic in Europe). But most of the action happened in Mesoamerica and Peru, where a wide range of species were domesticated, the first villages and pottery appear, and there are signs of fairly complex societies (e.g. the Norte Chico civilisation). Iā€™m not sure what to give as a specific reference. Any textbook that covers the prehistory of the Americas should do.

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by ā€œPalaeolithic connectionā€, sorry.

Thanks, you clarified everything for me. I was unaware of any Paleolithic states and so assumed that the domestication of crops came at a much later time. And, thanks to your input, I was able to educate myself a little more. Thank you!

Though, I would like to know if you mean that archaic paleo-Americans domesticated these crops or did the people of the formative period? It seems like there is a gray area there as to which cultural era domestication of crops actually belongs to in the literature I found.

I believe it mostly happened in the Archaic period.

Thanks for the clarification. The sources I read said that domestication started in the late archaicā€¦ my bad for not reading that correctly lol.