Neolithic Clothing in the Game?

I was reading an article on the Otzi Iceman and the dimensions of his loincloth were much smaller than mine.
Otzi’s was 100x33cm, whereas mine is 160 x 20cm. This means that his was quite short in the front, but it also means he could make it from one single length of leather. (his was actually many strips sew together, each about 100cm long).

His was sheep hide, whereas mine is deer hide.

Also, his leggings were 65cm long, whereas the ones I am making should be about 61cm long, about the same (51cm around at widest part).

1 Like

I have begun work on a set of authentic early Neolithic deer leather leggings. Before cutting the leather to make the leggings, I used it to quickly photograph what a simple leather wrap looks like. The leather wrap is so simple, in its most primitive undecorated form, it may almost be simpler than the loincloth itself. It is simply a length of leather that has been scraped and generally tanned, wrapped around the waist like cloth, and fastened with a cord.

While it is possible the wrap could simply be tucked in like a towel, this is not very secure. Cultures with people who are known to walk around with cloth wrapped around their waist and tucked-in typically use longer pieces of cloth. Leather is smaller, and the point of the wrap is to not have to do any sewing.

As you can see, it is a simple, light and versatile garment. A man or woman who wears this will protect their legs while working but can easily remove it if they need to get in the water. It can be worn with leggings and other garments if the weather is cooler. It is effectively a skirt or a kilt.

Notice that the sides are tied in a bow, then the tight leather top is pulled down to hold the cord firmly in place.

Also, this is the back.

While the model that I use wears some body decorations and feathers hanging from the front, much more elaborate decorations could be made and the leather itself could be cut as needed. Here’s a picture of a better cut leather app which uses shells for decoration.

1 Like

Neolithic Leather Leggings

While leather wraps and loincloth’s protected the groin, they were not always effective at protecting the legs or keeping them warm. This is where leggings come in. In fact, leggings, with an accompanying breechcloth or skirt, were basically the original pants. All the way until the 1600s, people could be found wearing leggings and a codpiece, effectively performing the same role as a breechcloth and leggings in the Neolithic. I suspect leggings were invented in the Mesolithic (does anyone know?), but they were definitely in use in the Neolithic. Otzi the Iceman was found murdered wearing a pair.

I set forth to make a pair using as authentic of material and tools as I could. I studied as much information as I could about the topic before deciding on dear leather and dear sinew for the stitching. I have often used flax for stitching, but I felt that sinew would be more appropriate given its availability, especially if one has obtained dear leather. Otzi’s leggings were stitched using sinew.

In case you were wondering, I wore this outfit for quite some time (as well as a previous one that I made a few years ago) In order to get a good feel for what it’s like to wear one. During the winter, they are quite warm but prone to sudden drafts. A skirt is a better covering over leggings, or perhaps a jacket. In the summer, it can get quite hot in the leggings will quickly be discarded, the breechcloth alone being quite comfortable on a warm summer day. The fall in the spring are probably the best times for these garments.

(NOTE: This is supposed to be an LBK culture item from ~5500BCE, perhaps Germany)

The leather hangs ready to be used. I need only select the pieces that are long enough and wide enough to fit the leg of the manikin. This require simple measurements. I can imagine a a woman lying on the floor patiently waiting as her sister made marks on an old, worn piece of leather indicating the shape of the leggings she would soon craft.

I have questionable skills at getting shapes for clothing cut correctly. This is normally not a problem as cloth is cheap, the leather is certainly not. I used a piece of linen to make a test shape to ensure I was correct and then used the same piece linen is a pattern to cut from. I suspect that my Neolithic counterpart would not have done this, not only because linen is very much too valuable to use for such a procedure, but also they probably had significantly more artistic skills than I do. :slight_smile:

The leather is easily cut using a sharp obsidian tool. If you look closely, you can see the scoring I made up the leather, serving the same purpose that a modern sharpie pen mark would have made. Quite frankly, I can cut the leather about as fast with this obsidian as I could with city other tool.

Looking at the pattern on top of the leather, you see how poorly of a job I did cutting the linen. Ironically, the obsidian cut the leather with much greater precision.

My bone awl is still broken, So I ended up using a male to punch the holes in the letter. I did not feel that this was wrong as I have used a bone awl so many times before and fully know of its utility. Using deer sinew, I carefully thread the holes together stitching the leggings into solid sewn leather tubes to put the legs in. My Neolithic counterpart would have had access to a fresh supply of sinew and she would have used it like duct tape is used today.

The completed leggings took about four hours to make. They are quite heavy and are attached to the manikin with the separate belt to ensure they don’t way down and pull off the breechcloth, an embarrassing situation for my Neolithic counterpart. The braided flax cord belt above the breechcloth holds the leggings, while the leather cord below holds the breechcloth. You can think of this is working the way lingerie panties (breechcloth) and the garter belt (braided flax cord) holding up the stockings (leggings) are not typically connected in classical lingerie.

A side view shows that the legs are fully protected and the two belts hold different weights and are not connected to one another. This means the Neolithic person could wear her leggings small gathering food and checking rabbit traps in the woods to protect her legs from brambles, but when the day became hot and she decided to work in the field, she could easily remove the leggings stay cool while leaving the breechcloth intact.

The butt is fully covered by the breechcloth, the leggings hang low enough not to rub against the but when moving. Leggings needed to either cover the butt, such as pants, or hang below the but to prevent this rubbing affect. Over time, it can cause irritation. The only way to learn about this is to wear such a garment for an entire day.

A frontal view reveals that all lower modesty has been accounted for, the legs protected as well as the crotch. The cord which holds the leggings is heavy-duty and could easily carry a pouch were a knife. While her upper body is exposed, I will eventually make a shirt to take care of this. Likely during the summers, she would have left the upper body uncovered is covering it serves only modern-day modesty.

Unrelated to the leggings themselves, I gave her many upper body decorations so the manikin would appear more visually balanced. Just because she does not worry shirt does not mean that her upper body would be completely bare. She has a necklace of feathers, two necklaces of bone beads, a rock and clay pendant, and a braided flax cord. I made these chords by hand by spinning flax. The beads were purchased as I simply don’t have time to hand drill that many bone beads.

4 Likes

Good work!! :+1:

2 Likes

I will start Neolithic weaving soon.
When I do, I will post detailed photos of how I do this and the finished garments. This could be helpful to AC team when they make weaving animations, loom meshes and textures for the game. Weaving was VERY important to neolithic folks. It’s also relaxing and fun! \o/

1 Like

Okay, the tiny loom model worked out! \o/
I made a tiny plain weave using flax and a tiny wooden batten. As you can see, it was ugly and only a proof of concept.

Today, I will go out and buy some 2x4’s to make a full sized weighted loom. I’ll bake some clay weights in the morning. After this, I will start hand spinning flax into string. My first object will be a small Neolithic bag and then a loincloth. After these, I will make some sort of shirt. I’ll make a video about this weaving project and post it.

3 Likes

basically, I will be doing what the woman in this video (below) is doing. Her technique is VERY similar to mine (but she is 9,000,000 times better lol)

1 Like

I have completed my early lbk Neolithic weighted Loom. I used traditional techniques, but I was forced to use store bought plywood. If it turns out I can successfully weave, I will arrange a trip to the forest to find and make a natural wood loom.

I need to fire some clay ring shaped weights tomorrow so I can attach the warp strands. Until then, it will sit like this being displayed by my ever diligent Neolithic mannequin.

I cut the grooves by simply burning the wood, hacking it with a stone hand tool, and then smoothing with a coral piece.

The entire operation to make the for grooves and secure the wood took about 2 hours. Cutting with fire is more precise than you might think, and quite easy. I used a simple tea light candle and did so safely in my house. I’ve done this many times by a bonfire, but it was easier indoors today.

The wood frame is held together by flax cord, and is quite sturdy.

On a side note, obsidian is very sharp and I get cut using it all the time LOL

Once I have woven a small carrying bag, I will post the results. Hopefully, the developers can use some of this information when making animations of ancient cities people weaving, the leather is still tremendously easier to use and more comfortable to wear. I should know, I wore only Neolithic clothing while making this LOL

2 Likes

Today I perform the first test with a mixture of flax and jute chord. It looks like I will need a heddle rod and maybe the repositioning of my shed bar.

As you can see, the simple weave is easily achieved. Tonight I will double or triple the width to make a Neolithic handbag.

Incidentally, my clay warp weights are working perfectly. They remind me of little Donuts.

4 Likes

The loom is now making cloth!
I am working on a little hand bag to start, but next I will make a linen shirt for the mannequin.
She is wearing a test shirt made from store bought rough spun linen, now.

FYI: Linen chafes big time. Without a bra, she will wish she wore leather, instead. You can’t think of prehistoric linen in the same way as modern linen. It simply is not as soft. The amount of time required to make even a small amount of cloth is extreme. It is my opinion ,based on actually working with the materials, that Neolithic folk likely use leather whenever possible.

Wooden Batton separates the warp (the vertical hanging strings) allowing the shuttle ( the string wound into a ball which forms the weft, the horizontal strings) to pass through.

It took three hours to string the loom and it would have taken me days to spend the flax cord. When I make the shirt, I will Use handmade flax cord purchased from someone who does a better job than me. I will try and hand spin all of the weft.

I can produce perhaps 2 inches an hour. This is not necessarily reflective of the actual speed for Neolithic folk, as I am untrained and nice and slow.

3 Likes

Very enlightening! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You must make and wear it to understand it lol

Also, ordered a wig so the mannequin will look better.

1 Like

Just ordered 324 yards (296.266m) of 3mm flax rope from Lithuania. lol
This will make a single Neolithic shirt. I really wanted to hand spin the flax for the shirt, but I simply cannot hand spin that much flax in my lifetime lol

The shirt will be one single 20" wide and 110" long panel. I may add beads or other decorations in it, and may also dye it.

It should fit similar to how this demo shirt fits. May take a few weeks to weave, once the flax arrives from Europe lol

2 Likes

I finished the small linen bag. He did not turn out as well as I thought, but the primary problem was that I made the panel way too small. The bags primary purpose was that of learning. I needed to improve my linen weaving skill before tackling the much larger shirt. To that end, it served its purpose.

I left the fringe on the back because I thought it looked nicer. Also, the war was made with heavy 3 mm cord making the fringe knots quite large.

It connects to the waist cord of the model without any problem, and she can place small items in it. Yes, I should’ve made it much larger for practical use. I suspect, given the limitations of a simple weave with flax, that leather was probably used more commonly for things like bags.

I used sinew to bind the week. It may not look it, but it’s actually quite strong.

I can hold various stone tools in it without worrying about their weight. The flax is quite tough, and sinew is extremely durable.

I think I’ll have much better luck with the much larger shirt. I will be starting that project for another week or two until the flax arrives from Lithuania lol

2 Likes

Cool stuff! :smiley:
+10 inventory capacity :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m still quite confident that small bags would be made from leather. Flax and linen have their use, but leather is much more versatile at this point in history.

1 Like

Here are pictures of some Neolithic textiles made of esparto grass (Cueva de los Murciélagos, Albuñol, Granada). Sadly their usage is not explained :confused: (sorry for the 2nd pic quality) EDIT: I’m starting to think the first one is a hat?

3 Likes

Wow! Thank you for sharing. The weave pattern, while circular, does indeed look like my weave pattern. This gives me hope that I’m in the right direction. \o/

2 Likes

I have used tiny sticks and some jute string to make a tiny version of the shirt that I will make full size. This is just a test to make sure the technique works. It took me only one lunch break to get this done, and it will probably fit a doll without any problem. It’s two panels, front and back, with a hole for the head and individually woven straps for the shoulders. It may look a little ugly, but I used a rather thick cord for a tiny object.

I quickly twist the cord around the loom assuming 16 strands per inch.

Each one of the straps for the shoulders is hand-woven, separately.

The finished product can be removed from the loom and then joined at the sides making a finished shirt.

Of course, I just made this quickly as a demonstration of the technique and not necessarily as historically accurate as the full size article will be. There is obviously no such thing as the Plastic Knife Culture LOL

The warp was not wide enough for this quick test and the knots I had to tie, while they would be completely hidden on a life size shirt, standout massively on the tiny shirt. But perhaps you can get the basic gist of how this works. The full size shirt will be much better looking.

On a side note, look how much nicer a leather outfit looks then a flax and linen outfit. Archaeologist always want to propel the idea that people in the Neolithic wore linen, probably because it had been invented and would have been useful. I disagree not only because of how complicated it is to grow and make, and how uncomfortable it is to wear, but also because we don’t have any real evidence that shows the frequency of either leather or linen.

So I made a necklace from clay. Clothing isn’t just leather and cloth.
The clay was easy to shape into beads:

1. Make a tiny ball shape
  2. Poke stick into center
  3. Gently roll to make cylinder

Markings on the clay can be made by shells or any object which can be pressed it the clay. (e.g. cardium culture)

(Camera white balance made clay look an odd color)

A string was easy to spin from flax.

Once the beads were fired, I merely put them on a string… done!!!

It looks like the model likes it! \o/

As you can see, it makes a great addition to any stylish Neolithic person’s outfit.
Jewelry is very important for Neolithic folk and many examples of beads have been found.

2 Likes