Main hand

Hi, im quite new in this forum, and i’ve read some threads, really interesting but i miss a thread about main hand.
As statistic show, a third of the population is left handed, and has been proved that primates even have a main hand.
So i was wondering if there will be left and right handed people in the villages or settlements.

This is a really interesting topic since some cultures evolved theyr writting (left to right while others right to left) andi know in the first ages it would not make a significant difference but in later ages it will be.

2 Likes

Statistics show it is closer to 10-15%.

1 Like

sorry i used the wrong percentage.
Yes, global is at 10% aprox, but its not constant in all countryes.

Anyway, it would be great to have main hand taken into account.

1 Like

Sorry, we have no plans for this difference in characters. This would lead to double animations for lot of character tasks for a minimal gain.
Anyway, what relevant game-play can you think of associated to this?

3 Likes

I completely get it and expected that answer. Simply as a thought exercise and in the interest of finding a theoretical solution: would it not be easy to simply mirror a certain percentage of models? That would make them left-handed without affecting anything else, unless I’m mistaken?

1 Like

Just an hypothetical example:
You have a door that opens to the right. To mirror the character’s opening door animation will not work unless you mirror the door too. And you can’t have 2 doors in the same place. So you need 2 animations. Same for every animation that uses a world item, combat etc…

3 Likes

Gotcha, any time the world item/interaction goal also has a left and right.

1 Like

as a left handed, i can tell you some objects do not work with left the same way with the right so i was wondering if there will be items designed forr left and right hand, as a “knife stone” cuts from a certain angle, and just works with one hand.

1 Like