It's a Game!

Yes :blush: It is how I discover them (when they did a small serie on the 2nd punic war before they created Extra History sub channel). More ironically, their current serie is on the Bronze age collapse !:smile:

It could be a good idea to contact them for the indiegogo. Afterall their audience are game and history lovers.

Cool, would you do that, perhaps? I agree that there should be quite some overlap regarding the audience.

Message sent! I don’t know if it going to work but at least I tried :sweat_smile:!

2 Likes

Hi bootneck… you and I are about the same age although I was Navy myself, I did have a fair bit of contact with booties during my time… I wonder if we met?

Hi Paul,

I joined in 72, after Lympstone I spent a few months in Malta and then was transferred to 45 in Arbroath.
I was also aboard the old “Mighty Ark” before moving to Poole. I also used to get quite a few lifts from different destroyers and frigates (can’t remember their names, but one was definitely the Leander) and the odd submarine from time to time as well, so we might have bumped into each other at some point if you served from 72 till 78 ( I was medically discharged in 78).
I have come across a few Matelots that I met back in the day, so you never know, (I am terrible with names, but never forget a face)

@bootneck I don’t think you need to worry about that. The devs are interested in history and want to make their game appealing to both gamers and history amateurs, so “2” types of people are present here (“2” because at least some of us are in both groups, evidently).
But that’s an economic necessity for the devs: if they make either a fun ahistorical game, or an historical unfun game, they’ll lose a good part of the players they aim to sell their game to. So clearly their interest is that everybody is interested in, and want to play again and again so that they may sell the DLCs.

For now, on the forum there are essentially discussions about the period, because we’re still lacking a lot of elements on the gameplay – which create discussions related to the things we know.
However it’s been promized we’ll soon get a discussion about historicity in the game, so this will be the perfect time when you’ll be able to give your point of view. Then probably will follow development diaries, when we will be presented the gameplay, feature after feature, and that we will have the possibility to comment so that they may have the first feelings of the community and correct whenever they feel we’re right. Then with the closed alpha & betas they’ll still have more elements to use for improving the game.

Also, I’m sure even if the games tend to be 99% exact, the context may still be fun. Even if you don’t mind what your citizens wear or if the longhouse has 3 or 4 naves, the gameplay still may be fun thanks to strategical choices that may both respect (what we know or suppose of) history and pleasure for the player.

1 Like

Hi bootneck, ahh, we barely crossed over. I joined April 77. In fact am having a 40th Anniversary reunion in Gib in a couple of weeks with about 6 or 8 of the guys I joined with. Seems unlikely our paths crossed then. Anyway I am always particularly fond of anyone who served, no matter which service, always seem to find something of a kindred spirit.

While I do get what you are saying (and the most important thing in a game is the balance between “Accuracy” and “Playability”) but specially with food - I mean, this is come to think of it the most important aspect of early civilisations. All the food we eat today is changed by us humans over millennia.
They cannot grow “fields of barley” because it wasn’t invented in that way - or was being invented.