Indo-Europeans

That’s planned and its one of the nice things about the migration system.
It comes with its problems though, as the new settlements, or the ones you leave behind, will be IA controlled, so they eventually could decide that are not anymore in good relations with you.

6 Likes

Why cant the player control multiple settlements? Yes I know there would have to be a cap because we all don’t have NASA computers Maybe 4 in beta knowing if there are problems trimmed back to 2 or 3 in the release Or a start option with a warning about performance and the possibility that more than two may not be compatible with future releases.

The amount of memory and CPU processing needed for the local map is what limit its size. And the limit is already severe. If you want 2 cities they would need to be half the size than the current limit. If you want 4 you would have to cut the size again and so on. So, what do you prefer? To build a few very tiny cities, or 1 big city?

1 Like

I wonder if I could load this on an azure Cloud M series server and run it. (You rent them). I’ve used these for machind learning lol

128 cores, 4TB of RAM. I wonder how far I could push it loll

Tell us if you can do that!

1 Like

Neither :wink: I want a excuse to get bigger computer so I can have 2 big cities therefore I need 4 times the memory and 8 times the processing power.

The reality is one tiny computer for 1 medium city.

And one really big computer for 1 large and 1 medium city.

What I will be happy with !!

Whatever is delivered :wink:

And truth of the matter I would much prefer playing more smaller cities to research effects of localized specialization under similar conditions and ideologies.

And don’t forget I’m the guy that suggested offloading the UI and AI to second screen, processor and tablet app leaving the primary processor to only have to worry about the current visual display.

We are just a tiny indy team. Ground that desires please!
:wink:

Remember my other comment Nightmare, Nightmare Daydream :relaxed:
Cant blame a guy for dreaming so the concept is put to Bed sweet dreams.

saw this recently, unfortunately in German only. Maybe interesting?
https://www.sendungverpasst.de/content/gewalt-und-kannibalismus

A summary would be appreciated.

Begins with the immigration of farmers / breeders from Mesopotamien/Anatolia to Central Europe. So far, it was believed that the first millennia were very peaceful. Grave finds in various places suggest that genocide (with the exception of young women) was common. Probably also Kanibalismus (or victim (?))
But there were exceptions, a coexistence of peasants and hunters. I found it interesting, well done. Maybe someone finds an English translation …?
Could make the game strand more exciting.

3 Likes

Did you watch the documentary in its entirety? :smiley:
I watched it on arte France and despite starting as quite sensationnalist with all the murders, notably 2 sites with 200 or more corpses laid in trenches, it (thankfully) abandons the idea the murders are linked.

The common thread of the documentary is a series of killings perpetrated in the LBK culture territory.
As @tschuschi says, some of the put to death are hunter-gatherers (because of their genome, which is different from early farmers), and the hypothesis is that they attacked a Neolithic village but failed, got captured and then executed.

Other corpses seem linked to ritual sacrifices, and maybe cannibalism inside circular areas delimited by trenches (:smirk:).

Some killings may be related to forced exogamy, where a village would raid another to apparently capture women (as the only ones murdered are male).

The Neolithic was peaceful, in the sense it seems there were no “wars” between groups. That does not mean violent (and impressive) actions were not commited at all, because of precise settings -one tribe running out of food wanting to steal, a huge sanctuary where people were sacrificed, a disagreement between tribes…

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m quite new to this discussion, so bare with me please.

I was wondering of what kind of level the AI will or would be when it comes to “control non-player controlled” cities - in order to keep things smooth but playable and interesting to spread out on the world map and how to compute AI settlements.

To my thought, there’s maybe not the need to fully simulate a city in big detail at all. For example, using and making a snapshot of a fixed timeframe, in example the monthly or yearly production of goods or calculated up front, farming output, hunting gains and consumption, which then might provide a easier and simplified model to compute from.

Of course, events, disasters or migration might still happen or over hunting, fishing or similar would be nice to be included. Or building expansions to some degree? I’m just not sure about that point so of what would be possible about the construction point of view in non-player cities.

Think, for wars as in later epochs, or at the same time in other regions, there were not enough large tribes. And no cities where power centers could ripen with all known problems. (This is what we are supposed to play :wink:). It was probably often about the survival of a group or simply prey or arable land