In game wiki or trivia, historical facts, educational

@halonot Unfortunatly AC team do not have the manpower to do an in-game wiki like AoE or Civ 6. It would take too much dev/research time and the game quality will suffer. Like they say in their reponse it is our task to help them with an online wiki.:books:

My personal wish would be to play a good historical game where a wiki or a tutorial would not be necessary. Ok, that’s probably not that easy to device, but I think AC would totally fit the definition, as I guess this could be a survival experience in a precise historical context.

For instance, you perfectly could imagine the very first steps in the game being quite obvious: you build a few huts, then a shrine or a granary that opens new gameplay possibilities or give a new modifier (e.g. the granary make the food decay slower), all of this being conveniently resumed in the UI. Then with a new technology such as bronze you may see in the UI that you may ask your citizens to make swords or daggers, etc.

With such a the smooth progress, you would not really need a tutorial, which would be quite fastly outdated whenever there are hotfixes or new DLCs. Just leave yourself live the game, like our ancestors did in real life.

Along the game some “missions” could appear to help the player.
The chief of the tribe could worry about the lack of women in the tribe, then suggest the player to trade a few from a neighboring tribe, against some pretty shining stones that his tribe produce, because hey! the neighboring tribe chief would earn a decent prestige with those stones.

And whenever the player fails (e.g. after a drought or a famine) there could be simple event explaining for the next game what went wrong and how to solve the issue next time.

But, well, that’s only thinking

If we do make a Wiki, I have a significant number of illustrations of Neolithic objects which could be added. I would just need to speak with illustratiors to make sure all is square.

Example pic

Cool pic, though the girl/woman looks like she came out a fantasy game. :cold_sweat: (Note I do get were the image comes from in history.)

1 Like

She is a transient between the Mesolithic and Neolithic, on the verge of early Neolithic. She is from Cromer, UK in the year 5500 BCE. Her body paints are made from wood ash and the strings skirt she wears comes from flax cord grown in Anatolia. There is a very lengthy story of how she ends up with such a garment From A Distant land, but I’ll spare the details.

Yes, she’s listed as lbk culture but that isn’t actually correct.

You guys have probably thought of it already, but I’m throwing it out there anyway. Since much of the game will be based on real past civilizations, maybe you could insert trivia (can be toggled on and off) during gameplay. For example, these can appear in a pop-up window when constructing farms or waterways. Afterwards, they can perhaps be further studied in a codex in the menu. I just think it would be a really cool way to learn world history.

4 Likes

I like your idea, I had a one very similar about creation on real object (from museum) in game : In game wiki or trivia, historical facts, educational - #12 by louis.mervoyer

The pop-up mechanics is the best for this.

2 Likes

Age of Mythology had a really good way of implementing this, sometimes even allowing some jokes to be quietly inserted into the game :wink:

2 Likes

Is this not very much like a wiki?
If not, whats the difference?

2 Likes

Our ideas are indeed very similar, differing only on the mechanics. My only concern with the museum idea, however, is that museums, or structures that had a similar purpose as it, probably didn’t exist then (I am not sure though), so it might be completely out of place. Anyways, I didn’t know such a topic existed already, but I am glad to find out a lot of us are in this not only for fun, but also for learning. :slightly_smiling_face:

I remember that game! It was both fun and educational (although, I think it was more of the former than the latter. Hehe.). I also remember the predecessor to it, the very first Age of Empires. That game presented you with trivia during the start and end of campaigns. And although parts of it may be altered or (totally) exaggerated, you cannot deny that it’s pretty fun (back in the day) to try dodging Archimedes’ death ray with your ship. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I agree that people can just wiki it. However, you’re going to have to agree with me that people generally prefer having information handed to them on a silver platter than having to dig it up. It’s like what I always say. I’m curious enough to want to know about it, but not curious enough to search for it (I’m lazy that way). Plus, I doubt people would want to pause the game just to try googling for the info; it kills mood and momentum.

Just as a point of comparison, albeit a distant one, think about Skyrim. One of the selling factors of that game was how immersive it was for gamers who care about the lore. Years after its release, people still talk about it (still the number one discussed game in gamefaqs.com). Of course the game is fictional, so people really can’t wiki it even if they wanted to. However, I’d like to believe that things could have turned out differently if they opted to build an external source and asked its players to get more info there.

Apart from players, who would benefit from Trivia and in what form?

I’d have to honestly say that aside from the players, only people who enjoy fun facts and history will really benefit from the addition of trivia. If people aren’t interested in playing the game, there’s a good chance they won’t care to know what they can learn from it.

As for what form of benefit one can get from it, I’d have to say that it’s just stock knowledge; you’ll never know when you need it, but when you do, you’ll be glad you know it. If you find learning to be fun (like me), you won’t care what use knowing these will be. :blush:

1 Like

Something of this kind:
Player discover agriculture, so a popup with related information about first agriculture pop ups, that would be a trivia or wiki?

1 Like

That sounds exciting, learning is always good. I had not heard from Trivia yet. Thought, it would be a commercial variant of Wiki, such as to lure people to museums or events. Such a game can also be a powerful marketing tool 
 in both directions, of course.:wink: (sorry, my former job ploppt again and again :relieved:) So, all clear, good idea.:+1:

By the way, I had read this in Wiki over Trivia:
In addition, the content of information on usefulness and “scientific” (whose precise definition can be very different in terms of culture) can usually not be determined exactly. A considerable number of inventions, discoveries, works of art and literature have not emerged as a result of planning, but because of chance, as a result of playful processes, due to chaotic progressions or as a by-product of failed planning. The fact that Trivia can be part of a playful appropriation of knowledge, in which the so-called non-trivial knowledge is also learned, re-ordered and reinterpreted, is therefore obvious.

That fits somehow into the Neolithikum :wink:

Hinzu kommt, dass sich der Gehalt einer Information an NĂŒtzlichkeit und „Wissenschaftlichkeit“ (deren genaue Definition kulturbedingt sehr unterschiedlich sein kann) meist nicht genau bestimmen lĂ€sst. Eine beachtliche Anzahl von Erfindungen, Entdeckungen, Werken der Kunst und Literatur ist nicht als angestrebtes Ergebnis von Planung entstanden, sondern aufgrund von Zufall, als Ergebnis spielerischer Prozesse, aufgrund chaotischer VerlĂ€ufe oder auch als Nebenprodukt einer misslungenen Planung. Dass Trivia Teil einer spielerischen Aneignung von Wissen sein können, bei dem aufgrund zufĂ€lliger AblĂ€ufe auch sogenanntes nichttriviales Wissen gelernt, neu geordnet und neu interpretiert wird, ist demnach naheliegend.

The implementation in Age of Mythology, was essentially a Wiki of sorts, an early though. And encyclopaedia, in which every article lead to another as it were. I remember I learned a lot from it, and it was all connected the game, so it was nice how our historical and archeological knowledge was referenced and represented in the game :slight_smile: I guess the ones in some of the Civs, like Civilisation V, were good too :slight_smile:

But of course, it’s more of a luxury, a nice touch to add when your done with
 ehm
 everything else :wink:

Wiki and Trivia topics has been merged, because these are very much the same thing or very closely related.

3 Likes

Age of Empires got a lot of their facts wrong though, so who will make sure the facts are right? Second pop-ups of that nature (cool as it is) become very frustrating fast, I may just want to play the game without pop-ups so there would have to an option to turn those pop-ups off.

1 Like

If we introduce the system at some point in the future it will be not about pop-ups.

1 Like