Cheese!

I hope cheese will get some representation. \o/
Humans were mostly lactose intolerant, and cheese was more or less edible while straight milk was not.
This is a minor thing, but when adding food objects to the game, cheese needs to be on the menu!

6 Likes

The equation is very, very simple: no cheese, no French players.

Ok, we’ll keep camembert and maroilles for the realistic DLC as this could shock some people, but we clearly need cheese :wink:

6 Likes

Great point about the lactose intolerance there, however if I remember my Anthropology professor right, even lactose intolerant people can and could drink a glass of milk per day. But the sprading of the gene for lactase persistence (lactose tolerance) would be an amazing game mechanic itself (maybe Bronze Age Exp.?).
If you think about it, dairy products are technologically quite diverse, as there are hundreds of ways to make cheese only. The one shown in the video seems to be very similar to Indian paneer, i think. Is there any science out there on the evolution of cheeses? :smiley:

1 Like

I really do hope cheese makes an appearance in the game. Things like cheese, it’s production and use, are really useful for tracking the movement of cultures. As for the actual technique that she’s using, it looks pretty Western Neolithic to me, though it may very well have parallels with the other type you mentioned. Worse, now I’m in the mood for cheese LOL

1 Like

I don’t now anything about Western Neolithic cheese :smiley: I just compared it with something similar I know. I was assuming every cheese before the usage of rennet was naturally fermented sour milk cheese, so I was surprised when she added acid (or was it?). It just remembered me of paneer, which I think is produced by adding lemon juice.

1 Like

I’d have to go back and look at my notes on extraction of rennet in the Neolithic. The process of extraction of rennet these days and even not that long ago is a horrible thing full of nastiness.