Bronze Age Expansion

… this game is set in Europe…

I know that. It’s just means most of my knowledge is basically useless.

for the most part, me too. I’m more acquainted with the bronze age near east than Europe.

Here’s a link to inventions from the Bronze Age. Hopefully you guys can play some in. Not all Technologies were huge steps in life somewhere just for the simple day-to-day enjoyments like umbrellas and soap. Or for fun like kites or primitive games.

And it would be fun to see people writing, and doing plays like the ancient Greeks did. Just small things like that

16 posts were split to a new topic: Sargon

Concerning the Bronze Age DLC :

• Trade is a must-have. There is no place in Europe (world?) where you have both tin and copper in a 10km² square.
  • More complex social interaction (unrest/revolt, complex cerenomy)
  • More complex war with real armies
  • Irrigation and canal digging for crop
  • More resources chains and craft

Something I would love is a strategic map of the area cut in 1-10km² squares and you can have a big town with palace and temples on one square and resources specific villages in the squares around (and you manage the trade route on the strategic map). It is more realistic than every thing in the same map and less CPU consuminng than a big 100km² map

7 Likes

All of these are must haves to make a proper bronze age dlc. You can’t have the bronze age in the near east without the conquests of Sargon the Great XD.

I would too. Although can we move the village squares back into the end of the neolithic so it’s in the base game too? Like, I thought there were cities like Uruk which held considerable colonies as well as villages surrounding it during the copper age… or should the copper age be allocated to the start of the bronze age DLC? Or is that even a consequential factor?

I would love it but this is entirely on the devs shoulders. Given the amount of work they have I not sure they can fit this feature in the base game in time. If they implement it later for Bronze age they could also add it to the base game period (as all games will be on the same engine)

1 Like

makes sense. I hope they have something like it in the works though as it would be pretty cool to have resource gathering hamlets to have to protect as well as your well-fortified capital.

1 Like

What do you mean by [quote=“Sargon, post:26, topic:1118”]village squares[/quote] ?

like what @louis.mervoyer suggested. Having smaller separate maps (village squares - for lack of a better term) in which we can build outlying outposts to gather resources by building little villages or hamlets whose products can ultimately be transferred to our capital, or taxed, etc.

I knew that could not be about big central clear spaces in towns !

lol, sorry poor vocab on my part

The closer game feature I can think of is the simcity 4 region map :

You can choose any square and build in it, moreover they are linked together

My idea is to merge this map with the anno series trade map :

2 Likes

interesting. That was different than what I thought you meant lol.

I am curious to have your point of view. Do you have games exemple that are related to your idea ? My exemple is not perfect because the militaty part where you can see your enemy and protect your trade roads is not represented. Moreover the style of the map is not very neolithic/bronze age :wink:
Maybe resources can on the map too like in Civ 6 one :

I was thinking along the lines of City Skylines but with the sectors being unlocked by sending settlers (like civ) to that area. However, I’m not sure how to keep the village and capital separate settlements from each other. Let’s say you build your city on the edge of the map and explore the next sector, would you need to have a loading screen in between the individual maps? That would keep them separate, but detract from immersion. So, I like your idea more as it seems to be tried and true and mine is kind of a cluster-f&^k.

The City Skylines mechanic can be used with the big city if the square is full (or if your city reach the edge of the map) in order to not split the city into different squares. My idea is more adapted to long distance villages and yours to close city expansion so no problem :wink:.

Moreover the map could start unexplore (like in Anno and Civ series) and you have to send scout to discover the surroundig areas. Then you send settlers in the square you want to colonize. In case of emergency you can send directly settlers in unknow areas (with a big penalty)

I wasn’t saying to port the city skylines mechanic. I was saying to use something similar that can replicate how it operated on a much farther and longer scale (never played simcity4, so I don’t know how it worked in that regard). But, I was thinking that you could send your scouts and settlers to the next tile over, but instead of being a continuation of your city, it would represent a longer length span of a few tens or hundreds of kilometers; almost as if every square in a grid overlay of the map was not actually touching but were separated by an intermediary square in order to give scope and scale to the game. Think of how Total War Empire used this kind of system to get to the Americas and the Caribbean from Europe

There were loading screen between tiles in Simcity4 unfortunatly… Since you play city skylines, a way to change tiles could be the zoom out tehniques they used in City Skylines (where you can buy nearby squares) but instead of merging squares you can change of square

2 Likes