Bronze Age Battlefield Video

kk. but you mean Spartites are a military/ruling/priest class. Spartan’s is a term that can just mean Lacademions which would include all of the various classes of their society. Including spartan women.

I am not 100% sure but spartan women did also physical training because they thought that stronger parents will lead to stronger children. Anyway it is difficult to define ancient world with modern classification. Spartan call themself “equal” not warrior for exemple evenif their activities were mostly warrior oriented

they were usually the masters of the estate and directed the rented state-owned slaves. I agree I think the warrior-only view of Spartans is outdated and false. Like with any militarized society, people tend to overlook the cultural achievements of the people. Even more so in Sparta due to the lack of surviving large scale buildings.

What a Knights training was changed enormously over the 500 years Knighthood existed as a battlefield idea. So both of you are right. The idea of a Knight’s training including Latin, classics and courtly manners is something that a lot (though not all) knights of the High Medieval period aspired too, a product of the romanticism that took hold of the idea of chivalry as the medieval period progressed.
If you look earlier into the knights history their training was much less codified and mostly about being able to ride and fight, rather than a strict set of social ideals. A continuous work in progress.

well, that is certainly true about the Carolingian knights. Most of those dudes were pretty charismatic, but I doubt they cared enough to learn Plato and Aristotle

Well true enough, I mean they probably had moved passed the Clovis attitude of “You smashed my vase at Soissons, so now I will smash your head while you tie your shoelaces,” but with few exceptions had reached the point of reading Plato. Work in progress as I said.
Doesn’t help that the lords and ladies of the High Medieval period tried to portray the Carolingians as a high and noble group to be emulated (much like King Arthur and his “Knights” where in Britain [I mean how much would a post-apocalyptic Romano-Briton facing seax armed angles and saxons really compare to a 15th century knight right? XD]). Men like Charles the Hammer and Roland became ideals to be celebrated in hit songs about what it meant to be a knight, which had very little basis in reality.

you hit the gauls on the head with that one bud-a-clash crickets sorry about my bad puns

did they even have shoe laces though? thought it was all the rage to sport some sweet-ass boots yall

or some hipster roman sandals

Just a shame we’re a few hundred years to late for Gauls. :slight_smile:
Yes they did have shoe laces, this picture of a reproduction turn shoe is not dissimilar to my own (I’d upload one of my own but they’re at home and I won’t be going home for a few weeks I think).

Even Caligae (Roman Sandals) have Laces

I’m trying to remember the exact quote that Clovis is supposed to have said but it’s evading my memory, all I remember is he essentially made one of his followers look down and then clove (pun intended) his head open with an axe as an act of revenge. I’m fairly certain that while the guy may have had shoelaces that wasn’t the excuse used :smiley:

hence why I said you hit them on the head ;-). I was unaware of the shoelaces lol. I just assumed they were only sandal laces.But anyway, those Vikings sure knew how to make shoes.

They’re cold and horribly slippery. Also wear out in about five second if you wear them on modern tarmac, which probably wasn’t a big problem back then. If I ever had to walk on a road I’d take them off and go barefoot rather than face having to repair or replace them.

that bad eh? is there evidence that they stuffed them with some sort of padding? like wool?

Some yes, especially for the viking period edit Viking and Roman socks are not unknown. More common in the period I was re-enacting seems to be footed hoes though.

And do those provide any comfort?

I have to admit I don’t know first hand, I’ve never worn them. In fact most people I know prefer non-footed hoes (maybe because we do most shows in the summer when it’s warm?) I haven’t heard anyone complain about them so I assume so?

huh, interesting. Do you LARP?

No, I used to do re-enactments for the period 1066-1250 when I was at Uni, but have fallen off it (besides I can be cold, wet and tired in my actual job, I’m not sure if I want to do it on my weekends now aswell).

lol, sounds like a fun club.

It actually was. But at the end of the day we’d stay in our period tents on site after the public had gone, and if you are living outdoors it doesn’t matter if you are in the 21st or the 11th century, certain truths are universal. While I was at University I didn’t mind, it was an adventure. Now that I sometimes spend weeks or even months living outdoors the attraction is somewhat diminished.