Better diseases simulation has been unlocked!

What about tooth decay due to having no/very limited dental care…
maiming due to combat with other tribes, animals, infections etc.
Injuries due to building, exploring, etc.
Thoughts?

5 Likes

Tooth decay is an extremely important component to add. Tooth decay and braces with ingestion of cereal crops, a primary component of the Neolithic. Tooth decay is also unreasonably common killer of people due to secondary infections.

6 Likes

unlock bleeding…for the cure

could not resist

Sanitation issues could start to affect citizens’ health as soon as they build permanent settlements - if they don’t build proper latrines or build them too close to their water supply they will get ill. Or if settlements upstream or your own domesticated animals foul the water. The old and the very young would be most likely to die, or those weakened by poor nutrition.

4 Likes

I suggest some like adhd, osd, etc.

When there is diseases, there need to be a solutions too.

Let’s say we have simple flu, they doesn’t know how to cure them. Someone sleep a lot and stay warm and get better, so he/she tells other people how to cure that. And word spread over our settlement.

Maybe some merchant can tell what to do, if he/she see what’s happening there. Or we can buy/ask/others tell the information before those diseases happen.

I really like if there is somehow able to see all tech/knowledge/item etc. tree,list or anyway. so you can play the game and doesn’t need to guess what you can learn/make/do later on game. And maybe little hint or something how you can unlock those.

4 Likes

or the need to bury it, less they get visitors

1 Like

I would like diseases not to be completely fatal to gameplay. I don’t believe hospitals and docters were a thing in this era, apart from some voodoo stuff they might do nothing is going to help them from dieing from a certain disease. So it would be realistic if a whole tribe would be wiped out by a simple disease. But: we are playing this for fun
I think diseases should happen as a punishment for not playing in the right way, for instance only eating one food group. And I do think that the cause of it should be mentioned when the disease occurs. That means you can find the solution for it relatively easy, however complex it might be, without losing a major part of your population.

3 Likes

There are some evidences that a first stage of medical knowledge was available on those days, as revealed by some skulls.
Also some diseases still exist as tuberculosis(3)

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/402596/summary

(3) Out-of-Africa migration and Neolithic coexpansion of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with modern humans | Nature Genetics

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve read about that as well, and you’re indeed right about the fact that there was some medical knowledge. However, there were still instances where complete villages were wiped out because of a disease. This was mainly because most of this knowledge was shallow, sure they could cure diseases with certain plants etc., and there are signs of surgery really early on as well. I would however say that it was mainly guessing and rational thinking. I wouldn’t call that a doctor, maybe calling it voodoo was an exaggeration but you get the point :smiley:

My main point however is that I would not like a disease mechanic that would cripple your gameplay IF there aren’t things you can do about it without, let’s say, bannishing 80% of your population.

1 Like

As you can read in the articles I added, there are evidences that more “patients” died than survived, so we should bear in mind one thing, knowing how to cure does not mean success

1 Like

no more unlocks until game released ? :scream_cat:

2 Likes

Just clicked through the old threads out of boredom. In this one (Better diseases… :roll_eyes:) I spontaneously thought: we would have better kept our hands off it :smirk: :mask:.
No, no, just kidding. But for the current occasion, well worth a discussion. For example: what would have happened if …?
Under which starting parameters, which disease could break out, spread - with what options in the result? How would society deal with it?

P.S. I’m thinking of the game. Parallels in the present would be purely coincidental :wink:

3 Likes

In a sense, (new) diseases did thrive in the Neolithic because of the cohabitation of people and livestock. Are you thinking of prehistoric quarantine? :wink:

Medicine and rituals mostly, but things that would shake up the normal life in the settlement I guess!

5 Likes

These events will probably have taken place very locally. On the one hand, it will have been assigned religiously (punishment of the gods). It would also be possible to find a culprit if people outside the tribe came in at this time. We can rule out a pandemic like in our day. Insufficient total population and only limited migration. It could have played a role in the development of natural medicine if this process also took place over a very long period of time. Maybe people were healthier overall at the time? Lower environmental impact, better immune system due to lower hygiene standards?

2 Likes

What about culture / religious differences for the dead rituals - is it random between burying / burning / other form (worshiping maybe)

3 Likes